• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh ValueJet Greys not Grey

New to Printing

Hey guys,

I have had a Mutoh for about 2 years now and I have been printing smaller decals and my greys have always been more of a purple color, but it has never been an issue. I have been using the right profile printing onto Oracal 3651 and I can not get a grey to print. Anyone have an idea why this may be?

FatCat

Grays are always tricky, but in my experience, color always boils down to profiles.
What RIP are you using, what model printer and what profile?

FatCat

The 1204 uses the older profiles, so make sure you aren't using a profile for a newer Mutoh like the 1324 or 1624...You should still be able to download older profiles from many places. I would look for 3M's calendared 720 profile, General Formulations has a good one as well. The Oracal 3651 profile has always been a good one, but I think the grays have always been an issue with that profile. FWIW - we don't run Flexi here, but I have a buddy that had similar issues and he switched to the General Formulations profile and was much happier with the results.

New to Printing

The 1204 uses the older profiles, so make sure you aren't using a profile for a newer Mutoh like the 1324 or 1624...You should still be able to download older profiles from many places. I would look for 3M's calendared 720 profile, General Formulations has a good one as well. The Oracal 3651 profile has always been a good one, but I think the grays have always been an issue with that profile. FWIW - we don't run Flexi here, but I have a buddy that had similar issues and he switched to the General Formulations profile and was much happier with the results.

Thank you! Going to try that now

New to Printing

I had this problem until I found a really good profile for my printer. The way I got around it, until I did, was to use transparent black over a white background, for my grays.
Good idea! But im doing a gradient with gray into white and I am getting purple into white.. Going to mess with Profiles now ill let you know what works!

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Hey guys,

I have had a Mutoh for about 2 years now and I have been printing smaller decals and my greys have always been more of a purple color, but it has never been an issue. I have been using the right profile printing onto Oracal 3651 and I can not get a grey to print. Anyone have an idea why this may be?
This tell me your printer was never calibrated for the profile or vice versa. I'm guessing you're not familiar with calibrating or re-linearizing your machine?

New to Printing

This tell me your printer was never calibrated for the profile or vice versa. I'm guessing you're not familiar with calibrating or re-linearizing your machine?
I have not.. Honestly opened the box and have learned by mistakes.

Changing the profile to GF worked out for the grey issue!