• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh vj-1204AS printer head wrong

Davidomilligan

So I recently purchased this vinyl printer along with a vinyl plotter to get into the graphics industry. Its more of just a hobby so I havnt been in a rush to fix this issue. So previous owner replaced the printer head but replaced it with the wrong style. for the majority of the printer settings I have used this has not been an issue I generally can make the streak it creates happen at about 36 in. problem is if I change the settings to what I should be printing on for some materials that line can move to the 17in mark or 12. from what ive read on these forms there are a couple different heads for the mutoh printers . can someone point me to the right direction of what I will need to purchase . Model VJ-1204AS Serial No. EY4S000066.

thanks

RG

Sounds like your printer has a "locked" DX5 head that's intended for a desktop printer. If the head is printing OK, except for the streaks, then you might be able to keep the head and use a decoder or decrypter card to get rid of the streak. A decoder is a circuit board that you install between the head board and the print head. You would need to know the part number of your Epson head and you need to know if your head is locked once or more than once in order to get the right decoder. The newest desktop heads are locked more than once. And, I don't know how to visually tell the difference between locked once and locked more than once. Maybe some one here knows the difference. From what I've seen online, these decoders cost between $75 and $200. A new head will cost you at lease $1500. I have the same model printer that you have. The Mutoh part number for the head in my printer is DF-49684. I have attached a picture showing the difference between a locked and an unlocked DX5 head.

Attachments

• Epson printere with unlocked heads.jpg
    Epson printere with unlocked heads.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 161

Davidomilligan

Sounds like your printer has a "locked" DX5 head that's intended for a desktop printer. If the head is printing OK, except for the streaks, then you might be able to keep the head and use a decoder or decrypter card to get rid of the streak. A decoder is a circuit board that you install between the head board and the print head. You would need to know the part number of your Epson head and you need to know if your head is locked once or more than once in order to get the right decoder. The newest desktop heads are locked more than once. And, I don't know how to visually tell the difference between locked once and locked more than once. Maybe some one here knows the difference. From what I've seen online, these decoders cost between $75 and $200. A new head will cost you at lease $1500. I have the same model printer that you have. The Mutoh part number for the head in my printer is DF-49684. I have attached a picture showing the difference between a locked and an unlocked DX5 head.
That's awesome news. At least I have hope for a cheaper fix. And thanks for the part number that helps a ton now I will be able to verify I actually have the wrong head and not some other issue

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk