• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh VJ 1304 streaking

SurfCitySigns

We've had the mutoh VJ 1304 for about 2 years now, problem free until recently.

We started to get some vertical streaking on prints.
A local mutoh dealer tech came out took the head apart, completely cleaned, replaced wiper, and cap for the black ink.

He said he couldn't figure out why side A wasn't firing, but B was fine.
There were no clogs, it just wasn't coming out correctly.
He switched to only print black on B, it will print slower, but fixed the problem.
Of course this was a band aid, and not a permanent fix.

Just today, we are now getting horizontal lines on the prints.
We tried various print profiles and getting the same results.
Black is turning out more of a gray, pic attached of the streaking.

Automated message:

Please observe Signs 101 rules on posting pictures found here
www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35000
:thankyou:

Attachments

• surf 1.jpg
    surf 1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 347
Last edited by a moderator:

SurfCitySigns

Nozzle check

I know the tech turned off the A nozzle on the black which accounts for the blank spot, but looks as if the B is also spotty, Magenta doesn't look so hot either.

Could this be the problem,
I've seen the nozzle check worse than this and didn't streak like this.

Automated message:

Please observe Signs 101 rules on posting pictures found here
www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35000
:thankyou:

Attachments

• surf 2.jpg
    surf 2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 300
  • surf 3.jpg
    surf 3.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 251
Last edited by a moderator:

Stealth Ryder

That's pretty BAD... Clean and get those Nozzles working... You may want to inspect the Maintenance Assy and all tubing below the Cap Top..

ProWraps

looks like dirty nozzles to me. do a couple heavy cleanings and try another nozzle check. see if anything comes back.

listen to stealth rider as well. he is the man.

randya

You are missing almost half of your black nozzles.
Both the A side and B side are firing, you just have lots of plugged nozzles.

You dont really turn off A or B, you can just pick a Wave form that uses only the A or B.
The nozzle check is THE prime troubleshooting guide for print issues.

Do a series of head soaks and see how many you can recover.

Last edited:

SurfCitySigns

You are missing almost half of your black nozzles.
Both the A side and B side are firing, you just have lots of plugged nozzles.

You dont really turn off A or B, you can just pick a Wave form that uses only the A or B.
The nozzle check is THE prime troubleshooting guide for print issues.

Do a series of head soaks and see how many you can recover.

Thanks for the info, We will soak them today and update on nozzle check.

SurfCitySigns

[FONT=&quot]Soaked the head 3 times for about 15/20 mins each time but the test print doesn't look much different.

Any other idea's?
[/FONT]

Stealth Ryder

If you are not able to see any improvement in the Check Nozzle Pattern you may need to take a look at the Maintenance Assy, if the correct vacume is not being pulled then nozzles will start dropping out....:Sleeping:

Newbie_on

Had the same Issue on my 1604, I put a new maintenance station but that did not help.
I ended up replacing the Print Head

Last edited:

Stealth Ryder

If you let it go to far without replacing the MS there is a possibility you can't recover the nozzles... You have to act fast when you see nozzles begin to drop out...

randya

[FONT=&quot]Soaked the head 3 times for about 15/20 mins each time but the test print doesn't look much different.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Any other idea's?[/FONT]

How much is much different?

If in 45 minutes you are able to recover 10-20 % more nozzles, then if may be worth your while to continue.

If you got none or nearly none, then Stealth Ryder is probably correct, perhaps your not getting a good seal at the capping station or the pump/tubing is not pulling sufficient vacuum, or they are too dried out to recover effectively.

Perhaps the operative question is: how long ago did you actually have a full nozzle check?

If it is more than a couple of weeks, you might have a serious problem.

Last edited:

FatCat

Listen carefully to both Randya and Stealth Ryder. They are both experts on these Mutoh printers and thankfully always eager to help.

jc1cell

Verify that you're getting good amount of ink running through the drain hoses when performing little charges to verify if a good seal is happening.

Soak overnight until you get your full nozzle check. You may need a stronger flush fluid to dissolve your blockage (if what you have is not the strongest your machine can handle, don't want to damage any part of the print head).

Make sure to constantly clean your wiper and capping station (rubber).

If not, you can then try a new maintenance unit. The final step would be the new print head. It has been two years and under medium to heavy production, that's about when you need to change it.

jc

heyskull

I have had similair problems (not as bad as yours though).
The biggest problem is the ink lines from the capping station blocking.
This blocks the pump and then all the old ink in the lines dry up and block everything.
My advise is pull all the pipework apart and clean it. Please wear gloves when doing this as it is a dirty job!.
Then put a little amount of cleaning fluid in the capping station and run a few cleaning cycles until the pump is pumping and the ink is flowing again.
I have angled the pipework to the waste tank so it is all running downhill as it seems very horizontal and blocks easy.
I have removed the metal panel and disabled the door microswitch so that when it's cleaning I can check ink is flowing.
A few head soaks and cleaning cycles should have you running again only if this is a recent problem.
If left too long you will never get that head running again.

SC