• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Vj-1638 In Need Of New Head?

lillhannus

Hi,
Today I experienced something wrong with my prints, the cyan was all over the place. You could say that it was like a mist of cyan on the vinyl next to the printed area.

I'll post a pick of an adjustment pattern where you can see that it is head nr2 that´s the issue . Let me know what you think I should do. New head maybe?

I´ve tried soaking the heads in the capping station for about half an hour and performed two long cleanings after that. I also made sure that the capping station connected well to the print head and that there are no clogs in the vacuum lines.

IMG_0081 (1).JPG

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It looks to be an electronic issue for sure. I would check the head cables for damage/debris/ink splatter. If there is any doubt, change the cables. Sometimes corrosion happens to the leads and it is tempting to just clean them off. Just change the cables if there is corrosion. If the cables are perfect, you are probably looking at a new head. There is a possibility that another board or cable sis shorting out but it is more rare than the head.

lillhannus

It looks to be an electronic issue for sure. I would check the head cables for damage/debris/ink splatter. If there is any doubt, change the cables. Sometimes corrosion happens to the leads and it is tempting to just clean them off. Just change the cables if there is corrosion. If the cables are perfect, you are probably looking at a new head. There is a possibility that another board or cable sis shorting out but it is more rare than the head.

OK tanks! I´ll check it out.
Does anyone have a service manual for these printers? I want to be able to replace and align the head myself but the retailer wont let the manual off his hands. The machine is now ower 3 years old and I don't want to pay overprice for neither the head or someone to fix it for me.

lillhannus

I didn't notice anything suspicious about the cables but I did unplug them and checked them just to be sure.

One thing I´ve noticed however is that the nozzle check looks bad on both heads regarding the cyan. Maybe there isn't a problem with head nr2 since there are issues with cyan on both heads!?

IMG_0106.JPG IMG_0108.JPG

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
There should be 2 cyan channels per head. Are the cyan channels both bad on one head or all 4 bad on both heads? If it is happening on all 4 cyan channels, I would be concerned that there is either a board damaged or the ink is bad.

lillhannus

There should be 2 cyan channels per head. Are the cyan channels both bad on one head or all 4 bad on both heads? If it is happening on all 4 cyan channels, I would be concerned that there is either a board damaged or the ink is bad.

Thanks!
I replaced the cyan cartridges yesterday with new ones from another batch. After that I did about 3 small ink charges and a few cleanings. I also printed about 1x1m cyan so I think the new ink should have came through.
This was without results though.

Is there a way to turn off one head so I can confirm if it´s one head or both that is bad?

lbpalm

Clean (carefully) the transparent disc inside the left end cover with mild alcohol and a lint free cloth.
- This has cured the problem described for me many times.

Signchief

If you're using flexi in production manger for the Weaving Effect you can select super fine wave a or b this allows you to print from just the a channel or just the b channel. I'm using v10 so i don't know if the newer version looks the same.
I have a 1604 which has one print head so this might not apply to your printer.

Last edited:

lbpalm

If you're using flexi in production manger for the wave pattern you can select super fine wave a or b this allows you to print from just the a channel or just the b channel. I'm using v10 so i don't know if the newer version looks the same.
I have a 1604 which has one print head so this might not apply to your printer.

Nice tip.

C

ColoPrinthead

? I do you a favor and you insinuate that I would take the time send you a malicious file?!

lbpalm

- It is the mediafire website which pops up messages for all kinds of dubious links.
Just be careful where you click.

- The first couple times I went there the site (not your file) was blocked by my scanner...

So no, not unless you operate the mediafire site.

C

ColoPrinthead

Sorry about that I have been using media fire since 2004 and had not seen pop-ups on my end.

lbpalm

no worries.
- Actually, you are right, it was my scanner that popped (up after blocking the site a couple of times).
I think those ads rotate, so if you happen to get a bad one it could be caught.

Last edited:

lillhannus

Clean (carefully) the transparent disc inside the left end cover with mild alcohol and a lint free cloth.
- This has cured the problem described for me many times.

Thanks!
I´ve tried this without results. I also cleaned the encoder strip.

Today I turned one head off at a time and checked the results and I got the same kind of "overspray" on both heads.
Mutoh tells me it´s likely a head that is failing but I doubt that both heads should fail at the same time.