Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Mutoh VJ1604 blue ink nozzle issue

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by archsigns, Apr 14, 2020.

1. archsigns

archsigns New Member

May 1, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi everyone,
    Wondering if I can get a second opinion on what could be the underlying problem with my Mutoh VJ1604 before I consider replacing the printhead or the printer altogether. Tech has quoted $6,500AUD to replace the printhead.

Something wrong with the Blue in nozzle it prints with a smudge of blue.
    Seems to only happen with dark blue colours. Pictures attached.
    Nozzle check appears to be missing the 3rd vertical line, right next to the black line.
    I have done short, long and little charge clean with no luck.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    Tags:
  2. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    First question; How old is that print head?

If older than 3-4 years, most likely time for a new printhead...also when was the last time you changed your dampers?

IMHO - If it costs $6500 to replace just the printhead, i would instead get a new printer, with all new parts, bearings, etc.

3. archsigns

archsigns New Member

May 1, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    The printhead and dampers have never been changed since I got the printer. Previous owner worked from home and I also don't run it much, only couple times a week.
    I've got a mutoh tech coming out to check it out in a couple of days. But it sounds like he wants to test the printing on various settings to improve the print quality rather than repairing any parts.