• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My Big Squeegee workcenter.

rcmtnet

Adksigns
My name is Matt and I am currently waiting on my new Roland VS-540 to arrive and thought I better get to work designing a laminating/worktable for the new 54" material it's going to pumping out.

For several years now I have been using Dale's amazing Big Squeegee and I have concluded that my transition of a 30" machine to a 54" is going to require a new workbench/lamination table.

I decided to get on the internet and see if I could find some plans, well after 30 mins with no luck I decided that it was time to fire up Google sketchup and see what I can come up with. My design goals were as follows, keep it simple, super flat surface and a robust easy to change media holder; something I always wanted but never got around to building.

The top of the table can be finished with laminate or self healing mat once completed. The overall design is inexpensive, constructed entirely from 2x4's; crossover beams are laminated with plywood to eliminate warp and to add strength to the table top surface.

Here is a picture of my latest design,

SS_20130901_010907.jpg

Here is a view with the media rack in its out of the way position when not in use. Simple lock pins are all that is needed to allow complete full use of the table surface. This design will also accommodate phase two plans with drawers around the top surface for quick retrieval of cutters etc. and big drawers underneath for even more storage, wheels will also be in the final blueprint design.

SS_20130901_010703.jpg

Once built and tested I would like to offer free plans to everyone at Signs101 who is interested.

The overall table size is, 5' x 10' foot in length

Please feel free to offer your thoughts, ideas and critiques.

Thanks,
Matt

Alpine Digital Media Services™
www.alpinedms.com

kffernandez

i have no experience building this type of stuff. but i have been using the big squeegee for a good 2 years now. your setup looks good as it is. but one thing i've always wondered about is where i can get rollers/hjolders that have a sort of brake system on them. so that pre-masking can be a lot more convenient. also, some way to adjust the height of the roll holder might be an option if it's not too difficult to implement.

kelly

Vinylman

Great idea.

One problem I see immediately is when you move roll holder to storeage positionn the mounted rolls of substrate will come out of the slots. Dumping everything onto the floor.

You need to devise a roll shaft holding devise to prevent that from happening.

Locals Find!

Great idea.

One problem I see immediately is when you move roll holder to storeage positionn the mounted rolls of substrate will come out of the slots. Dumping everything onto the floor.

You need to devise a roll shaft holding devise to prevent that from happening.

Inline with his thought why do you need the slots?? You already have holes for the axles for the rolls. Drill a hole through the axle at the end and use a cotter pin. Simple and effective. To change the roll pull the pins slide out the axle and reverse to put the new roll in place. Nothing will fall out.

John Butto

Great drawings, have never tried Google Sketchup, is there a big learning curve and do you have the free or pro version.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The first time you nail your shins on the roll holder when it's in the down position you'll figure out another way.

rcmtnet

Adksigns
Thanks everyone for the great feedback...

54" rolls of vinyl can be heavy...I was looking for an easier way instead of holding a roll and trying to thread the pipe though all the holes. So I went with the gun rack approach then a locking mechanism. Hard to see in the photo its held in place with a couple wing nuts.

The table is 5'10' I see Lowes is selling counter top laminate for $90 online that would be a direct fit and hold up well.

Also for this design Baltic birch sheets are smooth and come 5'x5' two sheets would be perfect.

Ideally would be the self healing mat but your talking about a $300 shipped online for a dual use setup. Cutting/Laminating

Bob with regards to hitting your shins...the roll holder could be pushed a little further than the picture and devise a hook of sorts to keep it well away from shins possibly.

Removing the roll holder would be heavy, but empty would be good. I could design it so the bottom has a slot and a locking pin. I was also thinking the roll holder would be more durable using 3/4" oak boards 4" wide or so.

Another problem I didn't think about was a 3" insert into each of the rolls so that the pipe stays centered. An easy task with my cnc router, I could make some if people needed them...or maybe someone has a better solution?

I am using Google Sketchup Make, its the free version, try its pretty easy to get the hang of. YouTube videos are a great source of wisdom.

I will post more updates if members are interested,

Matt

centinela

Once built and tested I would like to offer free plans to everyone at Signs101 who is interested.

Hi Matt,

Your design looks amazing. I´ve just ordered a Big Squeegee and a Trimalco Kronos cutter. Before they arrive I need to build a workbench and your design could give me great start. I take you offer of the free plans if you don´t mind. I am sending you my email address via private message.

Thanks a lot,

Inigo
: )

i have no experience building this type of stuff. but i have been using the big squeegee for a good 2 years now. your setup looks good as it is. but one thing i've always wondered about is where i can get rollers/hjolders that have a sort of brake system on them. so that pre-masking can be a lot more convenient. also, some way to adjust the height of the roll holder might be an option if it's not too difficult to implement.

kelly

I have used a squeeze clamp and rubber band - or perhaps a leather strap with a weight - as a tensioner for the material holder on cutters. I think this could work. Or use the weight/felt thing on the back of the roland printer/cutters.

Last edited:

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Great looking table.

One thing to think about when building a table is how to drain off static electricity. Some things to consider are:

Humidity levels. If the humidity is high you don't have to worry too much about static. If you have AC then the indoor humidity is going to be fairly low and a source for humidity in the area of the table will be necessary.

Grounding in the table is the best option. A thin sheet of metal under the tabletop that is grounded to the floor or wiring conduit is something that should be considered. A well grounded table will make a lot of difference.