• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My carving tools

signmeup

A member asked me what tools I used to carve lettering and I couldn't find the old post about it so here is a new one. And some pictures of carving an N into 15 pound Cora foam HDU.

The pic with the fingers shows how the flat back of the chisel indexes itself on the previously carved part of the letter.

The club in the first pic is my carver's mallet. It looks like it would be hard to use but it's really great for tapping on chisels when the letters are too far from the edge to just push them by hand.

I have some other chisels and stuff but these are the ones needed to carve these letters. Note that I am carving through a plotter cut vinyl mask. When it's time to paint the sign it make it pretty easy to stay inside the lines. (The panel is pre-painted )

Attachments

• letters1.jpg
    letters1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 190
  • letters2.jpg
    letters2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 148
  • letters3.jpg
    letters3.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 127
  • letters4.jpg
    letters4.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 124
  • letters5.jpg
    letters5.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 148

geb

What does the wooden, baseball bat looking tool do? Thanks for showing the pictures.

George

signmeup

For O's I use the v tool shown and the bent one, 3rd from the right. Or a box cutter.

C'mon up... I'll give you a demo. Better yet... fly me down there this winter...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I can bring a sleeping bag and camp out on the pool table.

Don't forget the free Cor-X airplane ride while you're there. You'll get a free one......... I'm sure......:rock-n-roll:

G
E​
R​
O​
N​
I​
M​
O........................ :cool1:

signmeup

They are cabinet chisels. I have ground them to a sharper angle than the hardware store grind. They don't need very strong edges for carving foam.