Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My customer rant for the day

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Flame, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    Yep, just gotta get it out of my system. Guy came in and wants some white cut vinyl by tomorrow. Had another guy that was going to cut it for him but he keeps being flakey and not calling back...you know the story.

So, he tells me he wants a wavey checkerboard design with some swirls and stuff, 2' tall and 36' long, on both sides of the truck in white. He would install himself. I figure up a quote, give it to him, his eyes just get wide. Apparently the last guy said he'd make them for $300.

$300..... for 2) 36' x 2' custom designed graphics???? That's less than $2 a square, with no design fees, and the risk of cutting a 36' graphic with no screw ups and heaven KNOWS how much weed time with small checker board squares all the way down the thing.

It was so ridiculous I didn't even really get upset. I just chuckled and let it go. Poor guy who's going to be making those decals....

Tags:
  2. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Just so long as it's not you making the mistakes! Let the other guy learn the hard way...

3. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Hey Flamey... that ain't a rant, that's a joke. Cost is more around $850 or so.

$300.... maybe each on a good day.

4. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    Don't forget he came in at noon on a Thursday, and wanted them on Friday so he could install them that night and then go on vacation.

;)

5. Ursta Graphics

Ursta Graphics Member

Feb 17, 2005
    Hermitage, Pa
    Lol... gotta love those customers! I wonder what the other guys design looked like .. I'm guessing vomit!

Mine was .. Guy drops off truck to be lettered this morning. "Here ya go all washed WAXED and ready to go." "UGHHH" as I broke out the prep-sol.

6. wildside

wildside Very Active Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Kansas
    that's a long truck :omg:

7. Si Allen

Si Allen Very Active Member

Jul 17, 2004
    I will bet the reason the other guy will not call him back is because he realized that he made a big mistake on the price, and doesn't want to lose his a$$ on the job!

:Oops:

8. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    EXACTLY!!!! :rock-n-roll:

9. "Deposit Please"

"Deposit Please" Active Member

Sep 17, 2009
    ...that or he probably thought it was 24" x 36" 2 sides + design fee and went over and got fed up with mr Cheapo.

10. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    That's a long truck.

11. Si Allen

Jul 17, 2004
    Mosh ... sounds like a racer's trailer, rather than his truck! So of course he wants cheep! Spent all his money on go fast stuff!

12. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Mosh could do em for that price no?

13. JR's

JR's Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2007
    swansea Ma 02777
    That's funny right there I don't care who you are. :)

J.R.

14. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    50 yards of Oracal 341 is only $58 COME ON!!!!!

15. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    designing it up, and weeding a checker board isnt very fun.
    No to mention 70+ feet of masking you have to pray doesn't wrinkle as your sending it through.

16. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    Might as well throw in a new rant. Got chewed out for being too high priced. Customer wanted a 5' x 3' one color decal. Would take a few minutes to vectorize the art he gave me too. He said his buddy makes 'em for $30, and cheaper if he gets quantities. Can I match that?

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, no!?!?!? He gets all butthurt wants to know what my problem is.

sigh.

17. John Butto

John Butto Verboten

Jan 9, 2007
    Whenever I hear the word "Buddy" all deals are off.

18. Just Another Sign Guy

Just Another Sign Guy Very Active Member

Jun 19, 2004
    what isnt' expensive anymore? if you do not value your time...no one else will. sometimes you just can't win.

19. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    A shop two miles up the street had their vinyl cutter go belly up. Since that's not their main source of business, they decided not to repair or replace the plotter.
    I was getting a nice rush of referrals from them.
    Referrals who acted affronted when they found out that I charge $25 for what this other place was doing for $12. Umm...I have a $25 minimum which I think is too cheap, but apparently I am a highway robber to these people.
    I'm going out looking for a part time job today.
    Love....Jill

20. Si Allen

Jul 17, 2004
    Jill ... sounds like the vinyl was a 'loss leader' to get them in for the other part of the business.

Evidentally ... it wasn't working well enough to get another plotter!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: