• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My HP FB700 Print Challenge: printing onto an iPad

I have a rather spectacular customer who is a graphic designer and always comes to me with unique sign and graphics projects. I bought an HP FB700 printer in November and he is enthralled by this machine, which we love! He is bringing in all kinds of unique material for me to print on: Legos, IKEA furniture, & most recently an old iPad. We will be using white ink because the iPad is black.

So here is where i have questions-

has anyone ever done this before? Suggestions on printer settings or RIP settings? I assume i am gonna run it on the aluminum profile... and let it sit for 24 hours to fully cure.

I am going to get a custom made jig made from a local guy that has a CNC Router to run it through in... anybody used custom made jigs in the FB700? How did that go? Anything i should keep my head up about? Or is there a better way to run it though?

i am mildly concerned about a printhead collision causing ink transfer or even a scratch. i use a digital micrometer to calculate media thickness because i have found the camera to be a little off at times. what do you think the maximum printhead distance i can set would be for this media profile?

White ink charges... what do you usually charge for the expensive switch to white ink... the .5 L of ink and 4 hour down time?

Thanks errybody!

danno

Sounds like you are headed in the correct direction. If you're worried about a head strike, check and see if you can find a similar object or unrepairable unit to attempt first. Let us know how it goes. As for the white ink, I would see about loading up more that just the one job before doing the switch. That would help offset the cost over many jobs and not just that one.

stephenisburger

Direct print on Ipads

About a year ago we did these. Definite nail biter, but as said before, run a couple test sheets the same thickness as the Ipads to assure no head strikes. I use aluminum composite for literally everything, just make sure to bump up the DPI to photo plus or whatevers best.

Attachments

• tabs.jpg
    tabs.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 221

greysquirrel

make custom media type on printer
photoplus
shuttered trailing lamp
low lamp power
2.0sec delay
1.00" height above media

yes to manual height thickness...