Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just In My new bucket truck

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by ams, Apr 28, 2020.

1. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Just purchased my new bucket truck and brought it home last night.

Elliott.jpg

Tags:
    • Like Like x 15
  2. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Nice - details?

3. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    :thumb:

4. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Congratulations!

5. icedhot

icedhot New Member

Mar 11, 2016
    cal
    too bad you are back east. we hope to find someone with bucket truck and work with in southern california.

6. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Nice setup..... and 55' reach to boot. :thumb:

Quick question........ you say you brought it home last night...... do you live in a motel ??​

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
  7. Ted Griffin

Ted Griffin New Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Russellville, AR
    Nice!!! As similar one is on my bucket list in the near future. No pun intended.

8. Creek Bank

Creek Bank New Member

Jan 30, 2019
    Bigfork, MN
    Sweet!

9. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Nice. Now all you have to do is put a $100 decal on the boom in its retracted position. Then every five feet or so of extension add another hundred.:D

Local towing company wanted me to do that on their rotating crane truck. They nixed the plan.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  10. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    nice rig.

11. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Very nice. Looks under CDL? Is that under the 2k lift for crane certification?

12. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Very Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    Charts 5900 max on current L55, the older one cant be that far off.

13. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Yes it's only 25,999 lbs and it lifts 5,900 lbs

14. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    How's the insurance on that size ?? Any specific qualifications or whatnot to be up 55' ?? In other words, can anyone go up, as long as they have a harness on ?? Some insurance companiesw need to know exactly who will be working at these heights or they're not covered.

15. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    For crane certification, as long as the crane can handle under 2,000lbs, you don't need any qualifications to run it, unless you are in the tree trimming business, in which case you never need to be certified to operate a crane (wtf, I'd argue they are more likely to cause damage due to ignorance). Safety equipment can be reduced to a tethered belt if you have rails on a basket up to x height, something like 42". I can't speak to insurance needs though.
    I've actually never considered it, but if you are using a crane as a man lift, does the operator need to be certified? Can I send my vinyl guys out on such a truck to do an install since I know they won't be using the capacity, or do I need to send the operator too?
    Here is something I wish I'd thought of when we geared out our new bucket truck. If you plan to put a generator or torch tanks on it, 'temporarily' mount them to the back of the truck, not behind the lamp/tool bin immediately behind the cabinet. I have our welder mounted with threaded inserts into the deck, which was great because we could drop the welder if we needed to (if some overzealous state trooper decides to weigh your truck, this will save you a tow bill). But don't put it 'in front' of the main boom, because if you'd like to go to the ground to grab something, and your truck is facing the sign, you will either have to rotate that much more to pass the welder/tanks, or risk hitting the welder and putting a dent in that brand new welder. (ask me how I know)

16. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    I am afraid to look at the insurance side of it. But I have a special insurance company that works with sign companies so I never have an issue. So yes it doesn't matter.

17. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    It was made with a welder holder and welding leads on it, but we don't do welding in house, we have a guy who works alone that comes and does it for us as needed.

18. Notarealsignguy

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    Thats the problem with trying to stay under CDL and still have enough truck to do the job. That crane and body probably weighs 15k and chassis 8 plus ballast if they add it? The little chassis are nice but its the same story plus you eat brakes, suspension and drivelines.

19. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    What about crane certification? Does everyone running the truck need it or just when it's doing a lifiting operation?

20. Notarealsignguy

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    Anyone that runs the boom would need it as far as I know.