• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just In My new bucket truck

ams

Just purchased my new bucket truck and brought it home last night.

Elliott.jpg

icedhot

too bad you are back east. we hope to find someone with bucket truck and work with in southern california.

rjssigns

Nice. Now all you have to do is put a $100 decal on the boom in its retracted position. Then every five feet or so of extension add another hundred.:D

Local towing company wanted me to do that on their rotating crane truck. They nixed the plan.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How's the insurance on that size ?? Any specific qualifications or whatnot to be up 55' ?? In other words, can anyone go up, as long as they have a harness on ?? Some insurance companiesw need to know exactly who will be working at these heights or they're not covered.

ams

How's the insurance on that size ?? Any specific qualifications or whatnot to be up 55' ?? In other words, can anyone go up, as long as they have a harness on ?? Some insurance companiesw need to know exactly who will be working at these heights or they're not covered.

I am afraid to look at the insurance side of it. But I have a special insurance company that works with sign companies so I never have an issue. So yes it doesn't matter.

ams

For crane certification, as long as the crane can handle under 2,000lbs, you don't need any qualifications to run it, unless you are in the tree trimming business, in which case you never need to be certified to operate a crane (wtf, I'd argue they are more likely to cause damage due to ignorance). Safety equipment can be reduced to a tethered belt if you have rails on a basket up to x height, something like 42". I can't speak to insurance needs though.

I've actually never considered it, but if you are using a crane as a man lift, does the operator need to be certified? Can I send my vinyl guys out on such a truck to do an install since I know they won't be using the capacity, or do I need to send the operator too?
Here is something I wish I'd thought of when we geared out our new bucket truck. If you plan to put a generator or torch tanks on it, 'temporarily' mount them to the back of the truck, not behind the lamp/tool bin immediately behind the cabinet. I have our welder mounted with threaded inserts into the deck, which was great because we could drop the welder if we needed to (if some overzealous state trooper decides to weigh your truck, this will save you a tow bill). But don't put it 'in front' of the main boom, because if you'd like to go to the ground to grab something, and your truck is facing the sign, you will either have to rotate that much more to pass the welder/tanks, or risk hitting the welder and putting a dent in that brand new welder. (ask me how I know)

It was made with a welder holder and welding leads on it, but we don't do welding in house, we have a guy who works alone that comes and does it for us as needed.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
For crane certification, as long as the crane can handle under 2,000lbs, you don't need any qualifications to run it, unless you are in the tree trimming business, in which case you never need to be certified to operate a crane (wtf, I'd argue they are more likely to cause damage due to ignorance). Safety equipment can be reduced to a tethered belt if you have rails on a basket up to x height, something like 42". I can't speak to insurance needs though.

I've actually never considered it, but if you are using a crane as a man lift, does the operator need to be certified? Can I send my vinyl guys out on such a truck to do an install since I know they won't be using the capacity, or do I need to send the operator too?
Here is something I wish I'd thought of when we geared out our new bucket truck. If you plan to put a generator or torch tanks on it, 'temporarily' mount them to the back of the truck, not behind the lamp/tool bin immediately behind the cabinet. I have our welder mounted with threaded inserts into the deck, which was great because we could drop the welder if we needed to (if some overzealous state trooper decides to weigh your truck, this will save you a tow bill). But don't put it 'in front' of the main boom, because if you'd like to go to the ground to grab something, and your truck is facing the sign, you will either have to rotate that much more to pass the welder/tanks, or risk hitting the welder and putting a dent in that brand new welder. (ask me how I know)
Thats the problem with trying to stay under CDL and still have enough truck to do the job. That crane and body probably weighs 15k and chassis 8 plus ballast if they add it? The little chassis are nice but its the same story plus you eat brakes, suspension and drivelines.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I am afraid to look at the insurance side of it. But I have a special insurance company that works with sign companies so I never have an issue. So yes it doesn't matter.
You really bought a sign crane without knowing the insurance cost or if they will even cover you?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How did you get it off the lot or wherever without having the proper insurance on it ??