• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My Rant for the day

mark in tx

So I posted a want ad for a graphic artist. Specifically in the ad stated to apply in person.

I don't want emails from somebody 3 states away.
I don't want phone calls.

I want somebody to Apply In Person.

Of the ones that have walked in the door to apply.

Wife beater t-shirt and gym shorts, no resume, no portfolio- goodbye.
Cut off sleeves and camo shorts with flip flops, no resume, no portfolio- goodbye.
No resume, no portfolio- goodbye.
No resume, portfolio on laptop, but scattered in 50 folders, not organized- goodbye
Still in school, can only work 1 day a week, demands 25 an hour- goodbye
No resume, no portfolio, only needs job because waiting to hear back on other job- goodbye.
Best buddy drove you to shop to apply, can only work when can get ride from someone, no resume, no portfolio- goodbye.
"Graphic artist? I can do computers real good, its the same thing."
etc....

I thought people needed jobs !??

Is it so hard to put on a clean shirt? Polo shirt? Button down shirt? Awesome graphic t-shirt you designed?
Is it so hard to put on clean pants? Blue jeans are fine.
I don't care if you dress like an "artist", but dressing like a slob?
I would welcome a hipster with a sweater, scarf, fedora and parachute pants!

Is it so hard to make a simple resume?
Is it so hard to put together a portfolio?
What is being taught in school?

I have never had such a hard time as this past month trying to hire someone.

Oh, and if you tell me you are calling for your husband to see if we are taking applications so he can add it to his unemployment insurance proof of looking for work, you suck.

I guess I need to write up a 58 line description of the job requirements and post that instead. And then I will never find someone because no one will meet every damn possible requirement in the world.
It's all my fault, I suck at trying to hire a graphic artist.

Ok, enough of my ranting.
Y'all have a nice day.

JoeBoomer

"Don't get upset with stupid people, just be happy with the smart ones".

It's really is amazing how rare common sense is. Especially when looking for people in the "arts".

Attachments

• CommonSensePeopleWhoNeedItDontUseIt.png
    CommonSensePeopleWhoNeedItDontUseIt.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Angry-puppy.jpg
    Angry-puppy.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 105

ddarlak

Go Bills!
GRAPHIC DESIGNER WANTED

Looking for a graphics designer for a small sign shop. Your duties would include, blah, blah, blah.

Please apply in person to: 21 oak street, blah, blah, blah.

Please dress like you want the job. A resume' and portfolio are required to step foot in the door.

If you can follow these simple steps, you just might get the job.

JgS

Anyone I use to hire was required to submit a resume with cover letter, references, salary requirements, and a link to their online portfolio before I even called them in for an interview.

Maybe try monster or careerbuilder.

mark in tx

I understand and appreciate the suggestions from everyone. I guess I should explain the rationale behind my Apply In Person approach to hiring.

If they walk in the door, they were able to pay some attention to detail.
If they have a resume and a portfolio, they have a basic knowledge of applying for a job, and proof of their abilities without me having to lead them by the nose.
If they dress halfway decently they care about appearance and presentation.

I think a graphic artist has to be creative, pay attention to detail, work without constant supervision, be able to present their work to customers clearly, and actually give a damn about what they do.

Maybe it is an oversimplification, but just walking in the door with a resume, portfolio, and good appearance tells me 75% of what I need to know about a person before I even ask a question. I'm not hiring a rocket scientist, but I still wouldn't want the rocket scientist that is gonna blow up the launch pad.

C

ColoPrinthead

I understand and appreciate the suggestions from everyone. I guess I should explain the rationale behind my Apply In Person approach to hiring.

If they walk in the door, they were able to pay some attention to detail.
If they have a resume and a portfolio, they have a basic knowledge of applying for a job, and proof of their abilities without me having to lead them by the nose.
If they dress halfway decently they care about appearance and presentation.

I think a graphic artist has to be creative, pay attention to detail, work without constant supervision, be able to present their work to customers clearly, and actually give a damn about what they do.

Maybe it is an oversimplification, but just walking in the door with a resume, portfolio, and good appearance tells me 75% of what I need to know about a person before I even ask a question. I'm not hiring a rocket scientist, but I still wouldn't want the rocket scientist that is gonna blow up the launch pad.
When you tell people to stop by, they will do just that. You need to provide a level of hoops for people to jump through before wasting your time meeting with them, asking for a resume and work samples via email is good place to start. No hoops = tons of time wasted talking to people who drop in and are clueless.

nikdoobs

How long ago did you make the post? Be patient there are way more graphic designers out there than there are design jobs. The right candidate will come in soon enough.

It may be a good idea to have people e-mail their resume's & portfolios first. Then pick the ones who have potential and ask them to come by.

fresh

The only error I see in your ways is that many people only have online portfolios.... Including my business. If someone wanted me to show them a portfolio, I'd direct them to our website, facebook, or instagram account.

Also, if they have a resume, it will be electronic anyway, so you might as well have them email it to you first. You can even set up an anonymous email address so people don't call and annoy you. Just my $0.02...

& People come in our shop all the time asking for a job. I always respond with, "No, but I'll take a copy of your resume in case something opens up." We've gotten about 4 resumes in the past 5 years. Ha.

CustomArtFW

Typical

I think it is typical of what we are seeing these days, candidates want jobs, but they are not putting effort and energy to get them. I stopped posting jobs online and only do it through local colleges, I get better candidates. Colleges usually post for free and students and alumni are the usual candidates we get from it.

rjssigns

I think it is typical of what we are seeing these days, candidates want jobs, but they are not putting effort and energy to get them. I stopped posting jobs online and only do it through local colleges, I get better candidates. Colleges usually post for free and students and alumni are the usual candidates we get from it.

QFT.^^^

Instructors will tell you who can "step" with the program. Best part is they'll give you their attendance history.