• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nail Spa Sign

aandrews19

How do you guys feel about this layout?

Business is called "Strasburg Nail Spa", and they want their number on the sign. They want an illuminated sign cabinet (3' x 5') on the facade of the building.

I kept it super simple, since there aren't too many elements to add.

Attachments

• SignMock-black.jpg
    SignMock-black.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 76
  • SignMock-white.jpg
    SignMock-white.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 86

Jillbeans

Make the bars on the top and bottom black, with white lettering maybe?
Nail Spa in white, fix the kerning on the S
(move it a bit to the left and remove the connector from the side of of the p)
and make Nail and Spa closer together.
Kerning on Strasburg is a bit wonky also.
Love....Jill

aandrews19

Made some of the suggested adjustments.

Attachments

• SignMock-black.jpg
    SignMock-black.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 69
  • SignMock-white.jpg
    SignMock-white.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 64

aandrews19

If anyone has any suggestions as to where to go for an illuminated sign cabinet, please share. This is the first illuminated cabinet I'll be doing... and I could use any tips you guys have.

visual800

I like the second one still but am not digging that nail font. The second one is a lighter look and not so bold as the one with the black stripes, whch is appealing to me as a nail spa.

As far as a cabinet I dont know who to get it from close to you but I would have the cabinet painted red or white with a flat face, it should be fine with a 3x5 size

Jillbeans

Thanks for listening. I think it looks a lot better, but you still need to diddle with U R G's spacing. Maybe a black outline on Nail Spa? But that may make it too ballsy.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
All of the criticisms to date notwithstanding and the fact that both versions are dreck, the second one, with the white 'Nail Spa', provides a great demonstration of the violation of a minor design principle.

That being the red outline of the area of the text that falls outside of the red rectangle. Given the color and type of the other design elements this outline should be at least as heavy as the heaviest part of the other red text elements.

As noted, a minor principle, but in this case it tends to bring additional weight and emphasis to the other copy and, at the same time, relegate the main line of copy to secondary status. This can generate some degree of visual confusion and conflict.

aandrews19

Tried it with a black outline...

Jill... I'm having trouble seeing what you are trying to point out in "Strasburg"... as far as letters U, R, and G... too close? too far?

Attachments

• SignMock-white2.jpg
    SignMock-white2.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 75

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For an electric sign... all of your copy is too dainty. You need to beef up the letters or they'll be lost at night.

On another note.... are you installing this ?? Or just supplying the box and decorated face ??

According to where it's going, it probably has to be U/L stamped. Then installed by a licensed electrician.... or at least hooked in by one.

Things to consider before you purchase the wrong box or kit.

If you do it by the book, I have some suggestions for your box.... you're not far from us.

2B

For an electric sign... all of your copy is too dainty. You need to beef up the letters or they'll be lost at night.

On another note.... are you installing this ?? Or just supplying the box and decorated face ??

According to where it's going, it probably has to be U/L stamped. Then installed by a licensed electrician.... or at least hooked in by one.

Things to consider before you purchase the wrong box or kit.

If you do it by the book, I have some suggestions for your box.... you're not far from us.

+1

Dennis422

Loose the outline and make letters a bit thicker (Change outline to white :) )

It kind off made sense with white bars, but since you changed the bars to black, there is no need for it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your secondary copy needs some fat on them, too.

If that's your final design, then the beefed up NAIL SALON is fine, but beef up the other stuff and try it in a very light grey to tone it down and push it back while still being legible and not wasted space.

Craig Sjoquist

Well to me it does not look like a nail salon

Although you do have a decent looking layout for a sign ..something is not right the image just does not fit, maybe it is just me...Excuse