• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Name Ideas anyone?

CoMaYaK

Hi,

I'm doing some freelance design work (for print) and need to have some paperwork ready to hand over to customers i.e. receipts and invoices or quotes etc.

I know how important a name can be for a company but can't settle on any ideas i have (or the ideal '.com' web url is already taken!)

Does anyone have any ideas to throw around that might get the message across please? Something that may convey quality print design.

I would like to have the word 'design' at the end but am open to suggestions. so for example '......something... design' or similar.

I want to have a name that I feel may translate well into a decent logo. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks. I hope someone can help with some ideas. (I ask the internet in the hope of returning something better than Boaty McBoatface)

http://www.theguardian.com/environm...tface-wins-poll-to-name-polar-research-vessel

papabud

Lone Wolf
depends on what you want for a name really. should roll off the tongue. could be your name then design. like lets say comaka design, use comaka.com and then use for a design i would just use a logo font set up to isolate the com form aka, so it reads and sounds com aka design. but any name would work really, pick one that sounds good and has a meaning to you, something you can build a story around or from

Gino

Premium Subscriber
depends on what you want for a name really. should roll off the tongue. could be your name then design. like lets say comaka design, use comaka.com and then use for a design i would just use a logo font set up to isolate the com form aka, so it reads and sounds com aka design. but any name would work really, pick one that sounds good and has a meaning to you, something you can build a story around or from

See...... that's why he gets paid the big bucks.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Be sure to allow "room for growth". In other words, don't pin your name down so tightly to one aspect of your business that it hinders you from growth should you find yourself better suited toward other markets. This is especially true when you secure your domain name.

Back when dot com seemed to be somewhat of a dirty name (the dot com bust), we chose dot net. You might want to try something similar. I think the dot biz, etc...are a bit tacky, do what you think is best.

Our business name (and the domain name) is only five letters long followed by dot net. It's extremely easy remember and it always comes up near the top of a Google search when they type in our name. People always expect to write down more when I tell them our web address, but it sure makes it easy to remember even if they happen lose our card.

Give us some possibilities and perhaps we can help.

JB

CoMaYaK

Be sure to allow "room for growth". In other words, don't pin your name down so tightly to one aspect of your business that it hinders you from growth should you find yourself better suited toward other markets. This is especially true when you secure your domain name.

Back when dot com seemed to be somewhat of a dirty name (the dot com bust), we chose dot net. You might want to try something similar. I think the dot biz, etc...are a bit tacky, do what you think is best.

Our business name (and the domain name) is only five letters long followed by dot net. It's extremely easy remember and it always comes up near the top of a Google search when they type in our name. People always expect to write down more when I tell them our web address, but it sure makes it easy to remember even if they happen lose our card.

Give us some possibilities and perhaps we can help.

JB

Thanks,

I see what you mean about the limiting growth, so maybe lose the 'design' part as it pigeon holes what I do a little too much?

I do already work for a print company and it's very early doors. I'm just getting a few jobs on the side through networking etc. and pushing myself a bit. (I do still want to remain loyal to my company and put the finalised jobs through them)

I think I wanted to include the word 'design' because for the time being I do just want this to be a bit limited (as I will only be doing it in my free time for now) I don't want to be dealing with too much in my own time, and I want it to be clear to the customer that my involvement through this 'company' will only be dealing with the pre press / production stage. But I do want to have some scope for the future (you never know how it might take off with a bit of work!)

I like the idea of 'photon' or something similar - (light particles) which is essentially what print design is kind of dealing with on a fundamental level, from the screen to the printed product. ...unfortunately already taken!!!!

I would like a short word that says a lot and I do have an affinity with the .com url

Any suggestions?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I like the idea of 'photon' or something similar - (light particles) which is essentially what print design is kind of dealing with on a fundamental level, from the screen to the printed product. ...unfortunately already taken!!!!

It's best to avoid industry vernacular and jargon unless you wish to answer tons of time-wasting questions, or you intentionally wish to confuse potential clients. It may also cause them to avoid your services altogether.

JB