• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Name Plates For Trophies and Plaques

ridewraps

We have a local rec league that wants us to start doing there Trophies we want to do the sublimated name plates do we need a special printer or what exactly do we need of course we already have heat presses and we have access to trophies just need to get the player and team names on them. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

We have a local rec league that wants us to start doing there Trophies we want to do the sublimated name plates do we need a special printer or what exactly do we need of course we already have heat presses and we have access to trophies just need to get the player and team names on them. Any help would be great.

Thanks

You have to use certain Epson and/or Ricoh printers with special ink. I think most people prefer Ricoh over Epson, although I haven't had an issue with my Epson(knock on wood).

How much demand do you have for this in your area? The ink can be the more costly part of this and if the demand isn't there to help go through the ink, you might have quite a bit of it going to waste.

ridewraps

There is only one guy local that does trophies and he is always hunting so he doesn't really take care of his customers we already have taken almost all of his t-shirt business and now most of the rec teams are switching also so it is a 50/50 chance either way as to how much mite be easier to pay somebody else to print and cut them to size and ship them in.

WildWestDesigns

There is only one guy local that does trophies and he is always hunting so he doesn't really take care of his customers we already have taken almost all of his t-shirt business and now most of the rec teams are switching also so it is a 50/50 chance either way as to how much mite be easier to pay somebody else to print and cut them to size and ship them in.

That does sound like you have something there. To me the biggest killer is the price of the ink. Now you just transfer that cost down to the consumer, but some don't like the extra charge, that's the biggest thing. At least with stuff like clothes, trophies you might not have that issue.

If it's 50/50, I would go with it and try it out.

binki

if you print them it would be with sublimation or direct on the metal with a solvent ink. Minimum entry to sublimation is around $500 for a printer and inks. The other way is engraving if you can find someone that engraves plates.

Mosh

I have printed plaques on clear film and put it on brushed aluminum. They turned out pretty nice. Why not just get them from a trophy shop?
Kinda like asking a carpet layer to pour a conrete floor, they are both floors after all....

CES020

If it's a once a year type thing and you already own the heat press, there are people out there that will print the transfer for you for $2 a sheet. Takes a couple days to get. Just send them the file, pay for them, they show up in your mailbox and you heat press them. Done. No capital outlay until you decide if it's something you want to do.

Some place like http://mytransfersource.com/Sublimation.html would be what I'm talking about.

jiarby

There are some folks online that will print just the transfer sheets for you (see it alot on the t-shirt forum) and they then mail you the prints, you press them. <oops- didnt read the above post!>

The drawback is that you will inevitably spell someone's name wrong and have to redo. You need the printer.

A Ricoh e3300N rig with Sawgrass ink is about $450+shipping... The GX7000 is $1200+
Then you need heat tape, trophy plate tape, a 12" metal shear, some dynasub metal.

If you want to JUST to trophy plates... black text on metal...
Look into LASER TONER sublimation. Buy any old used HP Laserjet with sub-toner and transfer sheets. subtoner.com

WildWestDesigns

I've done that for a couple of members on here that just wanted things printed on the sublimation paper and I mailed it out to them. No big deal.

digitalwoodshop

I do Sublimation and CLTT. I believe Jiarby hit the nail right on the head.... CLTT... Color Laser Toner Transfer...

There are many over on EngravingEct. Forum doing CLTT on Metal for Awards.

I think that is the most economical answer... A old HP printer that has a non 180 degree turn of the paper... I have a Konica Color Printer...

That would answer the need.... Join Engraving Etc. and you get a discount on the paper. It is a special paper with something like Teflon and you print it in a Laser Printer and the Toner sticks to to coating. In a Heat Press you transfer the toner to the tag. Lots to read on CLTT at EE.

Just be careful of the Soccer Mom Meet the Price Game.... You quote the Awards and she goes to another store and gets a lower quote then back to YOU for a lower Quote... Then back to the other store for a Lower Quote..... Yes, this does happen.... Or they buy the awards on line and bring them to you for a overnight rush job adding the names...... It is a Dog eat Dog business of Awards... I stay away from it.... Mostly because I am in the Stix...

Good Luck,

AL

ova

If you're serious about getting into this business, I can hook you up with a company that sells used HP printers that last a long time. Our last one was nine years old and just bit the dust. We purchased another used one for pennys on the dollar.

You will also need a cutter to cut the plates to size if you buy just the transfers and burn them yourself. It's like a paper cutter, but a little more beefy. Also a nice tape dispencer for the double sided tape will help.

Just where are Earth are you located?

Dave