• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

National average wages/pay scale for a sign installer?

MrDesignGuy

Can anybody tell me what the average wage that a sign production person makes? The work includes running a large format printer, sign production, installation which also includes full wrap vehicle installation among other basic duties as this role in a print shop. This may or may not influence the wage to be paid, but the shop produces on average 18-28k per month in sales for one production person who does the aforementioned information. Thanks in advance.

iSign

Who are you? An underpaid employee? Owner? Job applicant?
What do you think it is, or should be? Why?

HulkSmash

What the shop does in sales has nothing to do with what the employee should get paid.

Pat is absolutely Right. What if the company had a slow month and only did 8-10k would you want to get paid less per hr?

think about it. you're looking anywhere between 11-17 an hr

mark in tx

At least $15.00 per hour for running the printer and production.
You didn't specify what type of sign installations, but a master sign electrician around here is $40.00-75.00 per hour.
Vehicle wrapping at least $15.00 per hour.
Keep in mind that good hired gun wrap installers get anywhere from $400-700 and up per vehicle installation

If you have 1 person doing all that at less than $20.00 per hour, you are going to lose them sooner or later when they find out how much they can make elsewhere.

HulkSmash

If you have 1 person doing all that at less than $20.00 per hour, you are going to lose them sooner or later when they find out how much they can make elsewhere.

Untrue. In this economy who's going to take the chance to free lance? You can have a solid 5 days a week job making 15 an hr. Or take the chance to do 3-4 wraps a month IF THAT.

iSign

I'd like to see a poll on this theory, because I don't think this is true on a national average, by a long shot... Oh wait, you mean including the master electrician skills too??? Ok, then I agree.. But running a printer, and applying wraps, I don't agree...

phototec

I'd like to see a poll on this theory, because I don't think this is true on a national average, by a long shot... Oh wait, you mean including the master electrician skills too??? Ok, then I agree.. But running a printer, and applying wraps, I don't agree...

Ok, then what rate in your opinion would be good for running a printer, and applying wraps?

What is a proficient designer worth?

:thankyou:

Christian @ 2CT Media

At my last Job:
I did all the billing, ordering, Designing, Printing, and installations all for a Whopping $21/hr + Benes. I got let go for "not putting in enough effort", now I have my own shop and make $1000/wk on average. Am I happy? Yes! Am I Lucky? Yes Very!

Pay rates are all relative, it really is between the owner and the employee. If you want more, ask for it! But I was once told that in business "Everyone is replaceable".

MrDesignGuy

Who are you? An underpaid employee? Owner? Job applicant?
What do you think it is, or should be? Why?

I am an employee with six years experience who has started the owners sign business from the ground up. I have been here for two years and the business has more than tripled in sales in the second year alone. I have never been given a pay raise nor had any sort of performance review. I just asked for a raise 3 months ago and was told the company as a whole (we do print, pre-press, design etc. among large format) was not doing so well (which I don't believe). I've never worked harder in my life as I have outstanding work ethics! I've never once had to go and ask for a raise at any job and I just feel that I may be taken advantage of by a stingy greedy business owner who doesn't have the slightest clue about the sign industry, all he sees is a new thread of cash flow in another part of his business. I just want an idea of what I should be making when I go in again to ask for a raise. I make a decent wage, but I think I am worth more as a one man show who "does it all" I also have a bachelors degree in graphic design, but the owner wont allow me to do any graphic design because he feels it conflicts with production work which I understand, yet he won't budge on hiring another employee. Anyways long story short I have been told by others that he has said that I am irreplaceable, but he has never told me this. I'm beginning to feel that if I don't get that raise that I think I am worth and to feel appreciated for once, why am I wasting my time in a position that doesn't allow me to grow financially with the company.

phototec

If you want more, ask for it! But I was once told that in business "Everyone is replaceable".

I remember, I was working on a job for a while without without a raise, and others around me were given raises. I confronted my supervisor and asked why, he said, you haven't asked for one, so we thought you were content with what you were making, he said, if you want a raise, you got one. It was that simple. It just goes to show how some supervisors think, and back to what my father always said, "The wheel that squeak's, get s the grease".

:wavingflag:

WrapperX

I would think that a designer would be a straight salaried position. I can't imagine you would find any designers looking to work per hour?

Where as a production guy/installer is predominantly hourly.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I agree with everyone else. It really doesn't matter what the average is. In my town rates for sticker monkeys, wrappers, designers and installers all range from 9-23 / hr depending on the shop and experience of the person. Which is a HUGE wage variation ... sadly, it all comes down to what the shop values a person and later on are they willing to increase that pay to keep a person in the position. since I have yet to read what the OP wants with that info ... all i can really say is: Experience increases income POTENTIAL not actual income. EVERYONE in a business is replaceable. And it's comes down to what the position demands and is expected to pay for those job demands of time and energy.

I know that I myself can make more money on my own ... but I would have more risks involve and time i would need to invest in non-shop related activities such as paperwork, bills, etc ... owners make more chedder because they have more to lose.

WrapperX

Another factor is the Region you are in. If you work and/or live in a big city then you will get paid more - however cost of living is usually higher. If you live and work in some one horse town and you're the only sign shop then general pay is going to be smaller. Generally speaking that is.

MrDesignGuy

Just so everyone can get a better idea of my dilemma. I make $15.50 per hour plus some benefits (not all that great) in a region that has about 65,000 people. I want to ask for at least a $2.00 raise because in my opinion I am doing enough work for at least 2-3 people. The pace at which I am expected to work is no more than 2-3 days out on any job, with wrap jobs no more than 4-5 days, without letting any other work on top of that slip through the cracks... oh yeah and overtime is frowned upon! At any given time the pile of jobs on my plate is usually 30-40 jobs per week. Do I ask for more? ... or pack my bags ;)