• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion National installs

Mastermatt87

We are growing and expanding into more national installs for our area.

Is there a list of national sign companies or can y’all drop some names of good national sign companies you trust and have partnered with before.

Thank you guys.
Have a great weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ams

I work for tons, but just google National Sign Company and you will see many. A few don't sub out, but it's worth asking.

Mastermatt87

I work for tons, but just google National Sign Company and you will see many. A few don't sub out, but it's worth asking.

When you reach out to national companies do you send a proposal or capabilities forum?

We usually send W9,insurance and what equipment we have.

Thanks AMS.

vincesigns

You are asking people to give you something for free that they have worked hard to create for themselves. I suggest you get to work on putting together your own customer list.

Mastermatt87

You are asking people to give you something for free that they have worked hard to create for themselves. I suggest you get to work on putting together your own customer list.

So to replace lights in a Dollar General Sign you will drive to South Mississippi?

I don’t believe so.
Get over your self.

People exchange advice and tips all day.

AKwrapguy

So to replace lights in a Dollar General Sign you will drive to South Mississippi?

I don’t believe so.
Get over your self.

People exchange advice and tips all day.

I think that what he's saying is that while yes people on here do exchange advice on material, equipment and processes, what it sounds like you are asking for is a client list. This a pretty sensitive to everyone here as this is how they make their living and with the relative low cost entry into this industry now more and more people are fighting over the same dollar.

I understand what your asking but there are people on here with these accounts that might be in your area and you basically asking for help in stealing a client, which is kinda a dick move. Also the way you asked your question didn't help.

As far as actual signs, I can't help you as I'm not involved in lighted signs, but there are some places that you can become certified an register on a national list such as 3M, Lowen, Avery, and Oracal that national companies contract out. I'm sure there are similar sites for lighted signs as well.

Also be aware the these national contracts usually are bottom of the barrel and dealing with them is frustrating to say the least. You might just be better to go to the building manager.

Mastermatt87

I think that what he's saying is that while yes people on here do exchange advice on material, equipment and processes, what it sounds like you are asking for is a client list. This a pretty sensitive to everyone here as this is how they make their living and with the relative low cost entry into this industry now more and more people are fighting over the same dollar.

I understand what your asking but there are people on here with these accounts that might be in your area and you basically asking for help in stealing a client, which is kinda a dick move. Also the way you asked your question didn't help.

As far as actual signs, I can't help you as I'm not involved in lighted signs, but there are some places that you can become certified an register on a national list such as 3M, Lowen, Avery, and Oracal that national companies contract out. I'm sure there are similar sites for lighted signs as well.

Also be aware the these national contracts usually are bottom of the barrel and dealing with them is frustrating to say the least. You might just be better to go to the building manager.

Thank you AK.

We are currently waiting for our local sign organization to have there annual show in July to meet with different national companies.

I’m not even sure how many national companies exist.

I have a small list of about 30 or so.

I understand that some people have built there company on partnering with national companies.

My intentions are not to rob clients.

ams

When you reach out to national companies do you send a proposal or capabilities forum?

We usually send W9,insurance and what equipment we have.

Thanks AMS.

I ask if they are taking on new installers or if I can get on the install list. Then they will contact you and send you the paperwork and ask for the required information or documents. None of them needed my capabilities document.

TimToad

This topic has been discussed frequently and the range of opinions on the wisdom of trying to build a business from this type of work is wide and has also been thoroughly discussed.

A couple major challenges to consider are the terms of payment, insurance requirements, etc. and how hard it is to collect from an out of state entity. These companies are notorious for slow payment unless you are the only option in an area.

Then there is the assumption of liability for another company's work from permitting through bond issues, accidents, miscommunications, vendor imposed deadlines, etc. You and your staff become the face of that company while on their jobs. You also will need to have enough secure storage to hold sign components and assume financial responsibility for them until they are installed. They also plan the timelines on projects around THEY and THEIR client's schedule not yours.

Most of the project documentation requirements are stiff and include online time management where your crew has to "clock in and out" through a project management portal, take voluminous numbers of photos to document the work. We've been forced to sign agreements about job site behavior, attire and personal hygiene requirements as well as having to arrange EVERYTHING with the store manager including documenting your time of arrival and departure. So you get to the work site and it could take an extra 15 minutes to find the manager, tear them away from what they are doing, then repeat when finished. I've been challenged a few times to lower my original quote because it took less "documented" time than the quoted amount.

It seems like unless you are in an area with a lot of malls filled with national chain retailers the amount of work probably isn't enough to build a successful business off of on its own.

Can it augment your own clientele and help fill in some empty space in your calendar, sure but not necessarily at YOUR convenience.