• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

NDA just to bid on job?

Has anyone else ever been asked to sign a NDA just to bid on a small job? We recently were contacted about doing an install for just a partial wrap on a single vehicle, and before we can even see the scope of the work or anything about the job, they sent us a 7 page long NDA to sign. Seems very strange. Have never ran into this before, and we do contract work all the time. Anyone else ran into this before?

nate

Has anyone else ever been asked to sign a NDA just to bid on a small job? We recently were contacted about doing an install for just a partial wrap on a single vehicle, and before we can even see the scope of the work or anything about the job, they sent us a 7 page long NDA to sign. Seems very strange. Have never ran into this before, and we do contract work all the time. Anyone else ran into this before?

So what's the problem? Read the NDA and sign it if you want the business....

visual800

I remember a time when you were offered a job by a handshake.

Now? COI, Workers Comp, Liability, waiver clause and enough paperwork to fill out like you were filing for a 30 year mortgage

Its gotten ridiculous. Sign it and get to bid or if it were me I wouldnt bother. That is dumbest thing Ive ever heard of however if you do it PLEASE post it on here so we can all see what is so special about this job

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I come from the world of manufacturing, and NDAs were the norm with RFQs. Especially when new projects contained sensitive or proprietary or patent pending information that competitors would love to get their hands on.

Imagine filing a patent, only to find out that your idea had been hijacked by a competitor...right down to the most minute details...and there's nothing you can do to prove it was your idea first.

Now you're beginning to understand.

JB

boxerbay

nothing wrong with it. unless you are a russian spy!!! j/k

we get them regularly.

Land Rover had us sign one to keep the images of their new model secret and could not be released before their grand opening show.
Chanel had us sign one to keep the new fragrance name and bottle look secret.
Revlon also did the same when they wanted us to print all the boards for their new product reveal at the Diplomat hotel.
Lamborgini when the Aventador came out and they did the big show on the MIA tarmac had us sign NDA before we could wrap a bus, and print the POS signage for their pop up store and Lincoln Road Mall.

they do it to keep their surprise event an actual surprise and not leaked out to the media.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Yup...... normal business on corporate projects where new or unreleased things are involved. Just did one at Flex (Flextronics) that I still cannot legally talk about or mention. Flex is a massive (truly massive with many facilities worldwide) contract manufacturing company.

rjssigns

I did a job for a game developers new release. Every file had an unlock code. As I would finish the file I had to notify them and get released to do the next. And that was after the NDA, gag order etc, etc. etc...

Then there was a small job with an NFL team logo on it. I thought I bid it with cushion for anything unforeseen. After all the paperwork and lawyers I had to deal with I lost money. Never thought there would be that amount of paperwork.:covereyes:

T_K

I come from the world of manufacturing, and NDAs were the norm with RFQs. Especially when new projects contained sensitive or proprietary or patent pending information that competitors would love to get their hands on.

Imagine filing a patent, only to find out that your idea had been hijacked by a competitor...right down to the most minute details...and there's nothing you can do to prove it was your idea first.

Now you're beginning to understand.

JB

Why would a vehicle wrap require an NDA? I don't see the purpose unless it's an unreleased model or something like that, as others have mentioned. The design work can't be that much of a secret. And a vehicle wrap itself isn't something you patent, unless there's some new, proprietary material or installation technique.

I remember a time when you were offered a job by a handshake.

Now? COI, Workers Comp, Liability, waiver clause and enough paperwork to fill out like you were filing for a 30 year mortgage

Its gotten ridiculous. Sign it and get to bid or if it were me I wouldnt bother. That is dumbest thing Ive ever heard of however if you do it PLEASE post it on here so we can all see what is so special about this job

Then most likely would be violating the terms of the NDA. The point is so their is ND. This usually happens when they want to keep something secret for the time being. Maybe it's a wrap for a new video game or movie or something of the like. It could even have to do with the files they are sending back or forth. Sometimes you can get an idea by the way they word the agreement. Just don't sign it and then break it. If you broke news on something new you could potentially hurt a companies profits etc. and they would have a way to point the blame at you. But makes perfect sense they start with this. If they tell you it's a wrap for blah blah blah before you sign then there is nothing keeping you from talking about it.

So, we signed the NDA, and received the files so we can bid. All this reading and signing, we were expecting so much more. It is literally the head shot of an insurance sales man cut out, about 20" x 20", company logo, company slogan, and company name. 4 decals per side. Wow, so worth all the effort!

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
... we were expecting so much more. It is literally the head shot of an insurance sales man cut out

I'm sure that's what they thought when they first saw Flo from Progressive. Now, her face is plastered just about everywhere. I dare say more people recognize her than they do some world leaders.

JB

visual800

So, we signed the NDA, and received the files so we can bid. All this reading and signing, we were expecting so much more. It is literally the head shot of an insurance sales man cut out, about 20" x 20", company logo, company slogan, and company name. 4 decals per side. Wow, so worth all the effort!

LOL I knew it was gonna be a crock of nothing, well good luck with your bid on that...