• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a new printer - Besides latex

Micheal

Hey guys so my brand new HP 315 is useless to me - ive tried 4 different materials, different settings, profiles, techs came to look it it no one can figure out why my 10 year old rolland can print and cut perfectly but the HP struggles. (1.25 inch stickers will low bleed due to design).

What machines can handle 1.25 inch stickers with perfect tracking for cutting? I need something that dries quicker normal as my client usually needs them same day - The supplier I think has Epson as well

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Do they need laminated? If so you’ll be limited to either latex or UV.

we run a Colorado and a mimaki, using a summa s2 t160 cutter. Due to low curing temp on the Colorado the SAV doesn’t tend to warp etc and I’ve been hugely impressed with the summa since install.

that being said, are you sure it’s the printer? Sounds more like a cutter issue. Assuming it’s a summa? Have you tried turning the speed all the way down? Do you have gperformance enabled? Cutting/mark reading set to high quality? Summa calibrations done?

probably a multitude of things that need looked at.

Micheal

yeah, I have went through 3 rolls of media in just test prints - ive tried every possible setting and temp - these stickers will not cut right no matter what I do

Micheal

yup did a black outline circle with the cutlines right on the edge, cuts off every time - and my cut files ive been using for years on the rolland

all calibrations and firmware up to date

rossmosh

Call up your sales rep and make it clear. They can either swap out this printer, which is clearly not working properly, with one that is, or they can take the printer back and issue a full refund.

At the end of the day, you picked this printer because you felt it was the right choice for your business. The issue is you got a faulty piece of a equipment. It happens. Go get one that isn't.

Ghutoz

Hey guys so my brand new HP 315 is useless to me - ive tried 4 different materials, different settings, profiles, techs came to look it it no one can figure out why my 10 year old rolland can print and cut perfectly but the HP struggles. (1.25 inch stickers will low bleed due to design).

What machines can handle 1.25 inch stickers with perfect tracking for cutting? I need something that dries quicker normal as my client usually needs them same day - The supplier I think has Epson as well
A epson printer and a good cutter solve your problem

Ahmed Samy Nagada

The major problem with HP Latex and Z series is th OMAS. In order to get tiles that match with each other or contour cut a file, you have to disable the OMAS.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I do similar stuff daily with no issues. It has to be a calibration issue with the plotter. Do you run your cutting with OPOS barcode? It's about 99.9" spot on for us. If I ever have an issue that it is off, it is usually a problem with the material bunching up or something while cutting. It's all in proper setup and alignment.
Also, depending on the design, we add a small bleed to the artwork, just in case there is a minor shift.

Last edited:

StickerGuy83

If you need to print and cut in one fell swoop, I would look at the Mimaki UCJV300 so you don't have to laminate.

I read that HP Inks (specifically the 831 inks) have an outdoor durability of 3 years with no lamination on adhesive vinyl. I personally like that the prints are cured right out of the printer. I currently laminate all of my prints. I want to avoid lamination for stickers and decals (small sized), so I'm curious to why you said to look at the mimaki so he doesn't have to laminate.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I read that HP Inks (specifically the 831 inks) have an outdoor durability of 3 years with no lamination on adhesive vinyl. I personally like that the prints are cured right out of the printer. I currently laminate all of my prints. I want to avoid lamination for stickers and decals (small sized), so I'm curious to why you said to look at the mimaki so he doesn't have to laminate.
HP inks are outdoor durable and scratch resistant, but he said he is struggling with latex due to his decal size requirements. The Mimaki is proving to be very durable and would allow him to print and cut in one system, freeing his HP setup for other work. There are other options out there but for ease and elegance of solution the Mimaki fits the bill and is reasonably fast at it.

StickerGuy83

HP inks are outdoor durable and scratch resistant, but he said he is struggling with latex due to his decal size requirements. The Mimaki is proving to be very durable and would allow him to print and cut in one system, freeing his HP setup for other work. There are other options out there but for ease and elegance of solution the Mimaki fits the bill and is reasonably fast at it.

Makes sense! Maybe I’m just nervous about buying a latex printer. Been on the verge of pulling the trigger on an HP latex 115 bundle with the summa d cutter. Unfortunately, I keep reading things that are deterring me from doing so. Grainy prints, issues with the cutter cutting in-accurately and shifted etc.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Makes sense! Maybe I’m just nervous about buying a latex printer. Been on the verge of pulling the trigger on an HP latex 115 bundle with the summa d cutter. Unfortunately, I keep reading things that are deterring me from doing so. Grainy prints, issues with the cutter cutting in-accurately and shifted etc.
Take all of that with a grain of salt. Grainy prints, these are not fine art machines. Cutting inaccuracy can be fixed by using tools to prevent/mitigate it and setting your cutter up to compensate

jpescobar

Here is my opinion in case you're planning to buy a new printer :

- If you want a tough printer with color accuracy, print consistency and reliabality go with Epson SureColor S-Series.
- If you want a versatile printer with an instant dry prints and immediate cut go with Mimaki UCJV Series. But you need the Mimaki LA-160 laminator to avoid silvering effect.
- For the vinyl cutter go with Summa or the new Graphtec FC-9000 Series.