• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Advice - Moving - Printer Location

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
Hello - we are moving to a new house in a few weeks and have a few questions in regard to placement of my printer (Roland VersaCamm) and Laminator.

The office space in our new house is located in the basement - finished room. My equipment, table, computer desk, etc. would all fit, however I am concerned about fumes in the basement (I only use Roland Eco-Sol Max ink if it makes any difference). The kids play area is also in the basement - on the other side of the stairwell. The office room does have a window and obviously a door I can shut. In addition, I would have Air Purifiers (I have 2 small ones currently). I am also thinking of installing an exhaust fan (similar to a bathroom one) in the wall that would go outside - would all of these measures suffice?

My only other option would be to have just the printer and laminator in the garage (3rd stall) and everything else (table, computer, materials, etc.) in the office. However, I worry about the conditions in my garage. The garage is insulated but we live in Minnesota. So upcoming, the weather can be 80-95 degrees and relatively high humidity. In the winter - as you all know, it can be -30 air temp and even colder (however I don't think the garage would get much more below actually freezing temp being insulated).

The future plan is to add onto the 3rd stall for my office (which would be climate controlled) - however in the meantime, what is my best option considering all of the above?

Really looking for insight as the safety of my kids comes first. Not sure if the office setup would be ok - or if the garage would work even with the elements the printer would be exposed to. Thank you very much in advance.

rjssigns

I have my printer in the basement. Only issue with ink smell is if we're running a marathon print session. Other option which I would do if I was in your shoes is heat and a/c the third garage stall.

You should be able to do that for a couple grand. I have two of these: http://www.spaceray.com/garage_infrared_heaters/ One in the front half, one in the back half. You'll have to call around for the deal of the day.

And something similar to this:http://www.sears.com/kenmore-elite-...gclid=CJD756Wo9cwCFQIfhgod67cCYA&gclsrc=aw.ds

I super insulated my garage/shop and with the doors shut on a 90 degree day it gets to about 78 and hangs there. Winter doesn't take much to have t-shirt weather.

Shop space is just a tick under a thousand square feet.

ProPDF

If your crazy about smell and health it's best to separate it from the house. It's solvent ink and there is nothing eco or friendly about it. Maybe take a look at a latex machine or possibly building a small extension into the basement. Another idea is just building a mini room or enclosure for the printer/s in the basement and using a vent pipe with an inline fan running outside.

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
Thanks you guys!

Would there be negative effects on my printer if there was no A/C in the summer and no heat in the winter and it running in my garage?

Thanks again!

Correct Color

Would there be negative effects on my printer if there was no A/C in the summer and no heat in the winter and it running in my garage?

Yes.

It's not something you want to do.

You might mitigate the effects somewhat by storing your media indoors and then bringing it out into the garage just at print time, but even then you'd still be introducing it to some pretty extreme temperature fluctuations.

Bottom line is the entire process of inkjet printing was developed in and developed for use in climate controlled environments.

I suppose it's possible you might get away with it, but I sure wouldn't do it.

rjssigns

Thanks you guys!

Thanks again!

It won't run well if at all. IIRC the specs on my Roland show a lower limit of 60 degrees F in a non-condensing atmosphere. Upper limit is around 80 or so F. My printer is in the basement since I can maintain a nice even 64 to 65 degrees F and 50 to 54 percent humidity. I watch humidity like a hawk.

Without a temperature/humidity controlled environment you're asking for trouble. You'll constantly be chasing your tail in regards to print quality. If it runs at all.

One other option would be to use an Island Air. http://www.islandcleanair.com/print-graphics/ These ain't cheap either.

To the point: Don't be cheap. If you can't stomach a couple grand to get set up properly maybe you need to rethink what you're trying to do.