• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need advice on adhering painted letters.

rfulford

Hello all. We are in the process of creating our first dimensional sign on our new router. The background is 1/2 white sintra and the letters are cut out of the same sintra and outsourced for painting with automotive paint. I would love some recommendations on methods to adhere the letters to the sintra. We are open to using tape or glue. FYI, the signs are for indoor use.

SignosaurusRex

A contractors adhesive such as "Liquid Nails" will work just fine for that application if you want it to be permanent.

astro8

We do a lot of this...3m tape, if it's heavy letters/shapes you can add silicon/maxbond. Weldon make an adhesive to use as well, but we use that on outdoor stuff with heavier Celuka.

Make sure the backs of the letters don't have dry overspray from the paint shop so your tape is adhering directly to either the substrate or sound paint.

it sounds like chemical fastening is fine for this project but i am a fan of overbuilding just about everything, it makes me sleep a whole lot better when those storms, earthquakes, vandalism, etc happen....so if possible i always try to use both mechanical and chemical fasteners if possible without being ridiculous.

an easy way to install studs is to install a screw approx 1/2 way into the letters and then to cut off the head with a pair of linesmen's pliers...very fast, easy, cheap insurance.

rfulford

Thanks for the replies everyone. These are pretty small signs and the deadline is tight so we went with 3M 4950.

Will1875

I agree will Jhill 3M VHB tape works wonders. Eastern adhesives also supplies a very agressive 950 film adhesive that is really good also.