• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Advice on Laser Cutter for Channel letters

0igo

I've been wanting to expand my business to make channel letters for some time now. I just seen online that someone is selling a small laser cutter (3'x4') for around $4000. Do you guys think a laser cutter this size is okay to start off with or should i just get a larger (4'x8') laser cutter?

unmateria

I've been wanting to expand my business to make channel letters for some time now. I just seen online that someone is selling a small laser cutter (3'x4') for around $4000. Do you guys think a laser cutter this size is okay to start off with or should i just get a larger (4'x8') laser cutter?
A big láser cutter pay itself in little months. It expands the business A LOT. We couldnt survive without one now. You can do lots of things... Perfect acrylic letters and signs, nice wood letters, parts that break in machines, and lots of other small works (keychains, masks, cardboards, boxes, etc). We have bought 2 130x80 cms 130w in last 5 years (we got a fire working with the first one). We payed like 8000$, but its (still) a very profitable business and a really good general tool

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6 mediante Tapatalk

DerbyCitySignGuy

3' x 4' is a decently sized laser, but you need to know more than the working area. Is it CO2 or fiber? What's the wattage?

Any laser is better than no laser (assuming it works), it allows you to get jobs you might not be able to otherwise get and the sheer amount of things you can do with a laser is pretty awesome. A laser and a CNC are two things that can change the way you do business.

Gene@mpls

Be aware that a 4x8 will be a different class of laser [no cabinet for shielding] and should be in a room with access limited to persons wearing glasses. For 4k by the way it will be a Chicom CO2 tube. I have some expertise in this area and some recommendations that I will not bore everyone with. If the OP would like to PM me his email I will expound upon this. I have had a 3x4 130w for 2 years and integrated it into our signshop workflow BTW.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Gene, does your 130w cut 1"+ acrylic cleanly? Or does it leave a angled/rounded edge. Can it layer cut well to make "steps" or "ledges" evenly for flush push through mounting?

bigben

Gene, does your 130w cut 1"+ acrylic cleanly? Or does it leave a angled/rounded edge. Can it layer cut well to make "steps" or "ledges" evenly for flush push through mounting?

This is a really good question that I would also like to have an answer.

unmateria

That is a lens issue more than a power issue. You know depth of field with normal lens?

With 130w anyway it has to be good calibrated and with proper lens to cut 1". I cut up to 1/2 without any problem and perfectly angled. About "layer cut" ... Not possible (at least with my machine) without sanding and polishing after that

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6 mediante Tapatalk