• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Digital Printer

3Dsigns

My shop is in a semi-rural area and a relatively sparse population so I don't have the volume of business to pay for a high-priced wide format printer. But I do need one from time to time. Can someone point out what brand and model printer would be a good "starter" machine? I'm thinking up to 50'' wide so I could print banners, 4x8's, etc. I want one which uses a good outdoor-durable ink and would be reliable. The sign shop I have been using to print for me is NOT too reliable. :( I would consider a used printer too.Thanks for your help.

flyplainsdrifta

do you know which printer the sign shop was using? would you be trying to replicate that output or does it not matter to you? also you will kick yourself for not going 54" wide or higher just because a good majority of rolls come in 54''. you'll be a little limited material wise in what you can run. the hp latex 115 is a solid starter machine imo. latex is the least amount of upkeep in terms of being able to sit for awhile without having major issues on startup later, so if your jobs for it would be intermittent, id push latex to save you a big headache down the road.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
First, you hafta have the space for it and not anywhere near your router. Next you either must think about a all-in-one machine or a separate cutter. Then, you'll hafta have space for a laminator and that needs an even cleaner area. The 54" is about the most common small roll to rolls you can get. Besides, you'll grow into it. Don't think about price as much as serviceability. You'll need that tech from time to time. Real estate..... do you have it ?? That's your real question.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
My shop is in a semi-rural area and a relatively sparse population so I don't have the volume of business to pay for a high-priced wide format printer. But I do need one from time to time. Can someone point out what brand and model printer would be a good "starter" machine? I'm thinking up to 50'' wide so I could print banners, 4x8's, etc. I want one which uses a good outdoor-durable ink and would be reliable. The sign shop I have been using to print for me is NOT too reliable. :( I would consider a used printer too.Thanks for your help.

Like mentioned above, the HP Latex 115 will probably be an ideal fit. I can talk to you about the benefits if you wish to have a phone conversation, 323-264-2200 ext 114, I'm Josh.

jriley

For print only, consider the Mutoh VJ-1324x. For print/cut, I hear the Roland SG-540 is a good entry level printer. Both are 54".

2B

how much time will be between uses?
all printers do best with frequent uses. If the printer is un-used it runs the risks of becoming clogged

the most common media width is 54", this allows a wider range of types / styles and better prices.

there are several Merchants here that are noted for quality and speed.

burgmurk

I'd go with an HP latex myself. There's no daily, or even weekly cleaning required, they're just ready to print when you are. your rolands (blech), mimaki's etc all tend to need manual head cleaning, and don't like sitting unused for long. The consumables tend to cost a little more, but i think the time saved is worth it.

3Dsigns

First, you hafta have the space for it and not anywhere near your router. Next you either must think about a all-in-one machine or a separate cutter. Then, you'll hafta have space for a laminator and that needs an even cleaner area. The 54" is about the most common small roll to rolls you can get. Besides, you'll grow into it. Don't think about price as much as serviceability. You'll need that tech from time to time. Real estate..... do you have it ?? That's your real question.
The router and all the other dusty/messy stuff is in a separate building. I would be using the printer/cutter in the 480 sqft office space where I keep my design computer and plotter. I may have to move things around but I think I can get it in here.

AF

I wouldn’t want a printer next to my workstation. Fumes and noise would make anyone suicidal.

Rustyrussell

https://www.austinsignco.com/
We've got a 63" HP L26500 Latex printer currently operating in our shop we want to sell for something bigger $3500 FOB our sign shop. If you're interested in more info let me know.