• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need feedback on a sign from the experts

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
We make all of our own signs but don't do it enough to have the experience to know best practices. We currently have a 4' x 16', metal frame, that holds an Alumilite substrate with a laminated digital print on it. It's been up for about 7 years and in pretty bad shape. We are thinking about just making a coro sign and sticking it to the existing substrate with double stick tape. Is that something that will hold up or are we going the wrong direction?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If it's supposed to be a temporary sign, you'll be fine, but not much over 2 years. 4' x 16' is only 2 sheets of substrate. If the customer cannot afford another metal sign, I''d think twice before putting up a crappy material like Cor-X.

MikePro

does the panel come out of the frame? you might be able to just apply a new graphic to the backside and save yourself some substrate costs?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Thanks Gino! This is our own sign in front of our building so the only people we can disappoint is ourselves. We do want it to last fairly long however. Is it the tape or the coro that is not going to last long?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
does the panel come out of the frame? you might be able to just apply a new graphic to the backside and save yourself some substrate costs?

It does come out of the frame but the print is essentially baked onto the substrate and the back side has little, for lack of a better word, growths like the metal became corroded or something. Not very smooth anymore. The frame is well built and in great shape but the substrate not so much.

Billct2

Coro is not going to last. If you are in the business you should put the best sign out there you can. A laminated print on new ACM, or use the existing and flip as was suggested is the minimum.

MikePro

aww nuts, wishful thinking i guess. labor to clean might not be worth the effort.
I definitely wouldn't trust simply taping a panel onto a panel as a long-term fix. coroplast should slide into the frame in its place, if you're looking for cheap/temporary.

...but a new acm panel doesn't cost too much to upgrade it to a proper/permenant replacement.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Coro is not going to last. If you are in the business you should put the best sign out there you can. A laminated print on new ACM, or use the existing and flip as was suggested is the minimum.

What do you think about 1/4" expanded PVC? That is our other idea. I agree about putting the best sign out there. That's the reason we are starting this project. The old sign did as well for about 7 years but definitely needs to be updated.

rossmosh

Is there a reason why you don't want to make the sign similarly to how you made it before? What you currently have is more or less industry standard. What you're talking about doing is what people do when they are broke or don't care.

2B

Leave the panels up there and attach ACM to the existing faces,
IMO a better option for exterior vsPVC

If you want to go with a "seamless" option, use a banner. again attaching it to the existing panels/frame
just make sure the banner is exact in size or slightly smaller. you want to install tight. grommets every 12"
a banner can / will last for years if installed tight.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Cor-X will basically disintegrate after a short time, especially if it gets sun. It then turns almost paper like and just tears and falls apart. Looks like crap. Ha...... why do you thing so many realtors use it ?? Cause it's the cheapest substrate out there, that can get wet, but it doesn't tolerate the sun.

In addition, not knowing how your frame is made or how many runners/braces there are, I'd use at least 6mm. 3mm is for flush mount, but at small sizes. You'll see every connecting fastener using 3mm.​

Last edited:

pjfmeister

If you are printing and laminating you should get the full lifespan of the vinyl and laminate no matter if you put it on coro or diabond....I have 1/2" coro 4x8 signs that have been up in excess of 7-8 years and still look great but they get no sun on them front or back because of print on front and mounted to building. I would say direct sunlight could be hard on these but the quick ease of installation you suggested may be worth the risk of possible shorter lifespan.

unclebun

The price difference between a sheet of true 4'x8' coroplast and a sheet of 1-sided MaxMetal is $34. The cost of vinyl, printing, and laminate is the same no matter what substrate you use. Your sign uses two panels. Therefore you are wasting your time asking a really stupid question over a $68 difference in price for the sign that is the visual calling card of your business. Coroplast, no matter what anybody says, is not a material that should ever be used for a permanent site sign for a business. Even if it manages to survive the UV light somehow, it will never stay flat, it is not dimensionally stable, and you will always have a ridged surface to look at and the ugly corrugated edges. A Coroplast sign used in place of a proper substrate for a business's sign tells the customer that the business is not planned to survive and is not to be trusted. It also tells the potential customer that the business will cut corners and not deliver the best product to them. The same is true of using a banner instead of a sign as the main business sign. When either is used as a sign company's main sign, it tells the potential customer that this sign company does not know what it's doing with signs, and cannot be trusted as a resource for giving them the best sign for their money.

Make new faces out of ACM and put them up. Throw the old ones away (or put new prints on the back of the old faces if the material is two-sided and in good shape)