• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help and Information On UV Protection For Printed Inks On Acetate Film

clarkr

Hi All,

Need some information/help protecting inkjet printing on acetate film from fluorescent bulb UV.

What I'm Doing:
I am rebuilding an old Hamm's beer rippler sign. One panel that I am replacing is inkjet printed on acetate film. This panel is sitting in front of a 14w T12 fluorescent bulb that shines through the artwork to the face of the sign. I do know that over time the UV from these type of bulbs will fade or damage the inks and acetate.

The solutions to protect the panel in question is where I am at now. I am considering a couple of options.

1. Buy a UV protection sleeve to cover the bulb to block the UV from damaging the inked acetate. It would be the easiest and cheapest way to solve this problem. It would also save damage/yellowing to the interior of the sign.

I don't know the technical properties/wavelengths of the UV emitted by fluorescent tubes so I have no way to judge the effectiveness of the protection sleeves. Anyone have any comments or suggestions on whether this option will even work? Has anyone tried this before?

2. The second option would be to back up the inked acetate with a panel of clear plexiglass that is used for archival prints that supposedly blocks UV light. Thus the light from the tube would have to pass through this before reaching the print.

Another option in this process is to use standard clear plexiglass (which I have) and use a spray on UV protection on the acetate (not the print).

Any idea's or comments on this option?

I want to thank everyone in advance for your input and help on this.

Thanks,
Clark