• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help learning HP Design Jet 5000PS or 5500PS

Apachedesert

I assume many of you use these older printers. I am looking to find an expert who will allow me to email or call now and then as I learn how to use this thing. I promise to not be too much of a pain in the arse. Actually, I'd really like to find someone who would allow me to visit for a day or two and gets some hands on learning. I'd be happy to get a hotel and soak as much of you expertise as possible. I live in Raleigh NC and would like to find someone within 300 or so miles if possible, but a longer distance is okay too. I am the begger here, not the chooser. I am a total newbie to this sort of printing and want to learn how to make magnetic signs for my son's high school baseball team, my church and to display my political leanings on the side of my car so I can **** off brainwashed liberals off. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. I literally know nothing about these printers, but I am a fast learner. Thank you!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I assume many of you use these older printers. I am looking to find an expert who will allow me to email or call now and then as I learn how to use this thing. I promise to not be too much of a pain in the arse. Actually, I'd really like to find someone who would allow me to visit for a day or two and gets some hands on learning. I'd be happy to get a hotel and soak as much of you expertise as possible. I live in Raleigh NC and would like to find someone within 300 or so miles if possible, but a longer distance is okay too. I am the begger here, not the chooser. I am a total newbie to this sort of printing and want to learn how to make magnetic signs for my son's high school baseball team, my church and to display my political leanings on the side of my car so I can **** off brainwashed liberals off. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. I literally know nothing about these printers, but I am a fast learner. Thank you!

They are great machines for certain things. Not great machines for certain things too. I can steer you to some helpful videos no problem. I will only charge you $5,000 but will show you all that you need to know for making magnet signs, high school banners, and church signage. :ROFLMAO:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No offense, but I have no idea how someone with your needs is allowed in a place of professional sign people ?? Unless this place has changed it's goals, one had to be in the business, a student or learning the trade to be a sign maker. Skirting around paying professional sign shops in your area, seems counter-productive to the meaning of this place.

Take Josh up on his offer, that's cheap in the long-run. Good luck, anyway.

Johnny Best

It's been awhile but I had a HP5500 (not PS) and ran it with a RIP. Download the drivers and software, do not think you need a RIP with the PS models. They are pretty much plug and print machines. A lot of info on the web and HP website on these printers. Just buy a roll of paper and start experimenting. Buy some adhesive vinyl made for waterbase ink. Buy laminate and a big squeegee to install laminate , stick to magnet material with big squeegee and thats about it. A lot cheaper than traveling, meals, hotel room and hanging out looking over someone's shoulder. Or, pay the $5,000 to BigFish for all his knowledge.

Bly

Old ones - and by now they are all old - will probably need the ink tubes replaced once they start letting air in and blowing heads as soon as you put them in.
The belts are about the only other thing that wear out on them.

Apachedesert

Skirting around paying professional sign shops? How am I doing that? Would I go to a local sign shop for advice on how to start a business? Gino, you obviously are quite stupid. Go away

Johnny Best

Water based inks for signage are so evolved.

Yea, you can watch the evolutionary process of the material delaminating all around the edges because of the coating on the vinyl to accept dye based inks and the fading of the inks in a short period. If he wants to experiment with new types of water based inks on the market for exterior use, but the guy is having a hard time just getting it up and printing something out.
If you know of some evolved water based ink for that particular printer, you should let him know and the process to accomplish that.

Stormyj

Just another guy
I need someone to design a logo for me, course I cant pay for it. And whats the lowest youll charge for a sign. cause I want to charge less. :cool:

Apachedesert

Thanks again Johhny, To all you idiots who have a problem with me seeking advice and help in terms of starting my new hobby, go F yourselves. Same goes to those who choose to entirely misrepresent the intent of my thread. I have coached kids for years and have always been happy to give help to newbies. I also volunteered for years as a literacy tutor teaching people how to write. I never ridiculed anyone for them seeking help.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey geronimo........ can I come back, yet ?? You ordered me away last night and so I was just wondering if you changed your mind.

My, but you have a lotta hostilities built up within you, for someone wanting to learn. Calling people names and telling them to F off, sure sounds like atributes most favorable in someone like you, working around little kids and illiterates.

Besides, I am only interested in helping serious minded sign people in the business. I could care less if you work from home, school or a 50,000 sf shop..... just not some hobbyist who wants to go around with a p!ssy attitude towards others. You sure act like a liberal...............

Apachedesert

No hostilities at all, just no patience for idiots like you. I'm really not interested in anything from you. So just go away again.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No hostilities at all, just no patience for idiots like you. I'm really not interested in anything from you. So just go away again.

Sorry Apache, but only one wish is granted in these parts regardless of your background. You used yours last night, so, just get used to the big world.

I just have one question for ya.......... if you teach people to read and write, why is it, you write so poorly ?? Remember Mr sign hobbyist, this industry is about communication(s), and your usage is kinda poor, huh ??

Have fun and enjoy your new adventure. :peace!:

WB

Are you kidding me..

You come on here and want help and this is how you treat people. Gino has more knowledge then you will even have in the industry and this is what you do. Your the idiot, you bought printer without doing any research on it at all apparently and now your here look for us to fix your problems. If you had done any amount of homework before you bought your printer you would know what the capabilities are.
So if I go by a tool box and some wrenches you think I can call up the nearest licensed mechanic and ask him if I can bum around his shop for a week so he can teach me everything he learnt in the last 20 years.

Do your home work, ask the right questions and you will get the respect here. No one here is going hand you a silver platter.