• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help looking to buy first sublimation printer???

Ok guys can someone tell me who sells nice startup packages to do sublimation looking to get a nice 48 inch printer to do full sublimated shirts. We currently do alot of screenprinting but customers are asking for this new trend. Any suggestions out there. Please help need to buy something before The end of the year

BESTBLANKS

Sublimation Systems - Printers, Dye Sub Inks/Paper, Heat Presses, Blanks and more

Ok guys can someone tell me who sells nice startup packages to do sublimation looking to get a nice 48 inch printer to do full sublimated shirts. We currently do alot of screenprinting but customers are asking for this new trend. Any suggestions out there. Please help need to buy something before The end of the year

Hi, Perhaps we can help. We are a large wholesaler of sublimation solutions (printers, inks, papers, blanks, heat presses. We have everything you'll need).
We can also help guide you with the right solution for your needs. Please see this page for more info: All Sublimation Supplies & Equipment For Heat Transfer Printing

Please call us with your questions, we are here to help! 888-431-7385 or 954-989-1250

Thanks for your post!
www.BestBlanks.com

TXFB.INS

I would STRONGLY suggest doing some research first.

sublimation (Dye-Sub) is not a new trend, doing the crazy sock designs are, and there are some MAJOR flaws with doing sublimation.
  • can only go onto white
    • if you try onto colored apparel it will change the color of the design and you cannot imprint white
  • must be 100% synthetic material,
    • 50/50 is about the limit and then you will have a muted imprint as dye-sub doesn't work on cotton
  • all over imprints will leave white in the creases & seams unless you imprint and then sew
  • there are many other issues, IMO that outweigh the pros of all apparel over imprints

we tried doing the all over imprint, and are now trying to sell our Epson Pro 9890 converted to an 8 color dye-sub with some of the smaller presses.
we still do smaller items but no more large /all over imprints

now don't get me wrong Dye-Sub still very much has its place but you need to have that place established before getting the printer, inks, paper, presses, etc.....

bigben

You will have to be more precise on what you want to make them and how you want to make them.

rossmosh

I would STRONGLY suggest doing some research first.

sublimation (Dye-Sub) is not a new trend, doing the crazy sock designs are, and there are some MAJOR flaws with doing sublimation.
  • can only go onto white
    • if you try onto colored apparel it will change the color of the design and you cannot imprint white
  • must be 100% synthetic material,
    • 50/50 is about the limit and then you will have a muted imprint as dye-sub doesn't work on cotton
  • all over imprints will leave white in the creases & seams unless you imprint and then sew
  • there are many other issues, IMO that outweigh the pros of all apparel over imprints

we tried doing the all over imprint, and are now trying to sell our Epson Pro 9890 converted to an 8 color dye-sub with some of the smaller presses.
we still do smaller items but no more large /all over imprints

now don't get me wrong Dye-Sub still very much has its place but you need to have that place established before getting the printer, inks, paper, presses, etc.....

Also have to worry about ghosting.

Atomic DNA

Dye sub isn't really something you want to rush into as you need to do your homework. There are many types of printers, presses and other pieces of equipment to really think about. If you are trying to spend some money to alleviate taxes, I'd suggest purchasing another piece of screen printing equipment as you already know this type of operation works and are familiar. What is your budget, by the way?

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
I found an excellent guide (5 part series) to dye sub printing here. I would highly recommend reading it before jumping into dye sub. Its very comprehensive and goes through just about every aspect.

Edit: The link for part 3 on the bottom of the part 2 page was bad... here is the corrected link

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
As everyone else has said, definitely do your research. Dye sub is a huge industry and many people do it successfully and many fail. My recommendation would be to look at the Mutoh RJ-900X which many people have used for Dye Sub a while now, the Mutoh VJ-1624WX is also a good option but it is 64", and I have heard good really things about the newest Epson Dye Sub machines. I'm not an Epson dealer but I have heard if you use their ink, they extend the warranty on your machine which is key to owning a dye sub machine as they tend to break print heads much faster than even Solvent inks.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
As everyone else has said, definitely do your research. Dye sub is a huge industry and many people do it successfully and many fail. My recommendation would be to look at the Mutoh RJ-900X which many people have used for Dye Sub a while now, the Mutoh VJ-1624WX is also a good option but it is 64", and I have heard good really things about the newest Epson Dye Sub machines. I'm not an Epson dealer but I have heard if you use their ink, they extend the warranty on your machine which is key to owning a dye sub machine as they tend to break print heads much faster than even Solvent inks.

Vander- do you have any experience with quartz heaters vs. a rotary heat press for sublimation? Pros/Cons. We have a 126" Rotary Press and are moving to a new location and don't have the room and would need to bring in additional electrical service to run it. Looking to see if there are any viable alternatives. We're printing on a Mutoh 2628TD, Direct Print, 102" wide goods. Thanks!