• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

NEED HELP PLEASE! puzzled by the simple things

wabam

Okay so, I was out sick for a few months. I come back to all of my settings changed. No biggie...except one! In Illustrator and Photoshop all of my art boards have these annoying trim marks in the corner. It wouldn't be an issue except they are printing and wasting material. My question is... How do I turn them off and make them go away forever? Please help, I know it's probably something simple I missed or slept through the first time I learned it. This is driving me NUTS!!! See the attached image for exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Attachments

• IMG_2086.jpg
    IMG_2086.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 251

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Are you sure that the problem is not something in your rip or print software? The sample you provided is a screenshot that appears only when you adjust/create artboards. They disappear after they are set.

a77

The trim marks you are showing in that screenshot are outside the artboard... and they don't stay when you get out of "editing artboard" mode. Are you sure they are showing up in your pdfs?

edit: sorry... vector doctor got it already

x2chris7x

If you are saving out as a .pdf, when the "Save Adobe PDF" box comes up, click "Marks and Bleeds" in the list on the left. On the "Marks" section make sure no boxes are checked.

shoresigns

To be clear, the trim marks you see when you're editing artboards are an on-screen visual indicator only. They do not get printed. If you are getting printed trim marks it's probably due to having them turned on when you export to PDF, but I believe they are normally off by default.

xxaxx

+1 to this ... Would be my guess as to your issue.

If you are saving out as a .pdf, when the "Save Adobe PDF" box comes up, click "Marks and Bleeds" in the list on the left. On the "Marks" section make sure no boxes are checked.

wabam

I usually save as an .eps but, they are showing up on .jpeg, .tiff, .pdf as well.

wabam

To be clear, the trim marks you see when you're editing artboards are an on-screen visual indicator only. They do not get printed. If you are getting printed trim marks it's probably due to having them turned on when you export to PDF, but I believe they are normally off by default.

Usually save as .eps

T_K

I have printed in pdf, eps, tif, and even jpeg in the past. Those trim marks do not show up in my prints. I can tell my rip software to print marks that look just like those, but it's not coming from illustrator.

wabam

This is what prints. The dot should be there but be close to the blue. The trim marks shouldn't be there according to all my settings.

Attachments

• IMG_2094.jpg
    IMG_2094.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 217

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
it is not a setting in Adobe software. Compare the trim marks on this image and your first one. They are farther away from the corners on this second photo. And as mentioned before that first screen capture is only for setting the artboard. They are not trim marks and simply disapppear when you exit out of that function

wabam

I have printed in pdf, eps, tif, and even jpeg in the past. Those trim marks do not show up in my prints. I can tell my rip software to print marks that look just like those, but it's not coming from illustrator.

I can also tell my rip software to make marks like that but, that option is set to NO marks

wabam

Seems to only do it in one of my two versions of Roland Versaworks. Same file doesn't print the marks. CAN NOT find the setting difference!

wabam

OK. It was some random setting in Versaworks. THANKS to everyone for your helping me narrow down and solve this problem. SIGNS 101 people rule!:signs101: