• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help removing old vinyl

klingsdesigns

I have a 59x59 area of layered vinyl that needs removed. What is the best advice to remove this. The vinyl is really old. Any info on using vinyl off, or any other products like that?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 533

fresh

yeegads. That looks rough, maybe a power washer? Can you douse it with rapid remover to hopefully soften it up, and then blast it with a power washer? I have no idea, good luck and I hope you are charging by the hour!

klingsdesigns

Right now the customer is doing it them selves and then i have to redo the whole trailer. If he cant do it i will end up having to do it or they are going to replace the sides of trailer. I was looking for something i can get him to help him out.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
A steamer may work...I've been pretty impressed with the results from my use, but haven't done any vinyl in that condition.

You may also try spraying it all with Rapid Remover and then laying thin plastic sheeting against it. It traps the Rapid Remover and holds it against the vinyl. Maybe leave it on for an hour or two and see if it loosens it any.

signguy35

right now I am removing old vinyl off old gas pumps. Im using a steamer and lots of cuss words. The vinyl I am dealing with is old and cracked but not that bad. A steamer and a blade is how I am getting the old stuff off. then I am sanding to get the surface smooth for new digital print. took about 2-3 hours for a 37x45 panel to get vinyl off and cleaned well enough to install new. just about to leave to go do another.

I like the idea of keeping the rapid remover under a plastic sheeting. might have to try that sometime when I am working in the shop, not on site. Good luck.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Put on a pair of headphones and pick your favorite band with LOTS of albums. That is going to take a looooong time!

I enjoy nothing more that removing old vinyl.....

:banghead:

2B

Have tried a range of methods.
for the really old and brittle vinyl find a high pressure HOT water spray unit, then go back and use a combination of rapid remover and LA's Totally Awesome All-Purpose Concentrated Cleaner.

petepaz

I am worried since its not a flat surface that it will burn through the paint and get hot spots easy.
it might do that. you would have to test but when ever i do stuff like that i let the customer know this could happen and clear up that you are not responsible for any damage during removal. you might even want to get them to sign a waiver. doesn't matter what method you use you always risk some sort of damage or discoloration to the existing paint. i saw someone mentioned a hot pressure washer, that might work but also mentioned and has a track record of working is a steamer (wallpaper remover). very rare that removal is easy especially when the vinyl is in as bad a shape as what you have there