• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help With 50,000 Decal Order.

DunbarPG

Help please. I am running a Roland Tru Vis VG-540. I have an order for 50,000 3in. circle full color decals. Any time I try to run more than 3 rows of decals on 54in. media, the cut line completely loses registration. The tech from my Roland dealer was here all morning and could not find the issue. The side nearest the control panel seems to cut where it is supposed to. The further away from the starting point it gets the further off the cut line goes. By the time it cuts the far side of the vinyl, it is cutting completely out of the bleed and into the art. The tech ran all of the calibrations for cutting and said it was perfect. Cut line works fine on other print/cut jobs, just not on large tiled runs. I have tried tiling out a single copy in versaworks, and also tried tiling the job in CorelDraw and sending over as 1 file, both with the same result. Running VersaworksDual 1.5.1....Oracal 3164G Vinyl....Any ideas as to what this could be?

DunbarPG

Not sure if the tech cleaned the encoder strip, I have not, but the machine is under 4 months old. I am printing/cutting together, and I'm using only two pinch rollers....on the very ends of the media, but the overhang is equal on either side of the pinch rollers, from the beginning of the run to the end. So I don't believe the media is "walking" left and right. I managed to get a run of 180, tiled in versaworks, to print and cut fine. Which was about a 4ft run. The only problem now is this order is for 50,000 and I need to run much larger batches than 180 at a time to fill the order in decent time. I've never filled an order with a quantity this high, and they all have to be cut down individually. I'm leaning more towards outsourcing at this point. I'm a one man graphics dept. with one Versacamm and beginning to think this quantity is over my head, with a tight deadline.

I'd outsource as well to like Stouse for example. But to go back to your issue, run all your pinch rollers, set a drying time of like 3-5 min or so, so that it doesn't track back through wet ink, clean your encoder strip, and definitely use versaworks to add the quantities. Hopefully all those together will help your issue. You would probably only be able to run about 5-7 feet through at a time to get near perfect registration. We have a XR 640 and a XC 540 and that is about all we run at a time for print/cut

oksigns

I'd outsource as well to like Stouse for example. But to go back to your issue, run all your pinch rollers, set a drying time of like 3-5 min or so, so that it doesn't track back through wet ink, clean your encoder strip, and definitely use versaworks to add the quantities. Hopefully all those together will help your issue. You would probably only be able to run about 5-7 feet through at a time to get near perfect registration. We have a XR 640 and a XC 540 and that is about all we run at a time for print/cut

this is my experience with the XR-640 I run

LowenCertified

Not sure if the tech cleaned the encoder strip, I have not, but the machine is under 4 months old. I am printing/cutting together, and I'm using only two pinch rollers....on the very ends of the media, but the overhang is equal on either side of the pinch rollers, from the beginning of the run to the end. So I don't believe the media is "walking" left and right. I managed to get a run of 180, tiled in versaworks, to print and cut fine. Which was about a 4ft run. The only problem now is this order is for 50,000 and I need to run much larger batches than 180 at a time to fill the order in decent time. I've never filled an order with a quantity this high, and they all have to be cut down individually. I'm leaning more towards outsourcing at this point. I'm a one man graphics dept. with one Versacamm and beginning to think this quantity is over my head, with a tight deadline.

minihoigs

Ask the tech to check in service mode that the "Default Calibration" is set correctly on the machine. It is a setting which controls how much media is feed forward between the passes. Also try set a feed before print, so i pushes the vinyl out then winds back before starting so it has slack. also check that the bi directional alignment is good before doing the print cut alignment tests.

stonetree

I have a Roland xr640 and always fought this as well as previous Rolands. I have graphtec plotters and had a good Graphtec guy show me my plotters track way better than my print/cut machine..