• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help with Oracal color chart for the 951 series

Does anyone have a current Oracal color chart that can verify something for me? Was told by the Oracal tech support in Georgia today that "Brilliant Blue" [HASHTAG]#086[/HASHTAG] in the 951 series only has a 3 year outdoor life and that it was stated on the color chart and tech sheet as well. I have not been able to verify either. I have been on their website and my suppliers website and see nothing of the sort under specs. I do however have a old Oracal color chart, about 10 years old, but it does have the 951 series listing Brilliant Blue [HASHTAG]#086[/HASHTAG] but has no exceptions to its limited outdoor life. Can anyone take a quick look at theirs and let me know if there is a note to this colors limited outdoor life? Thanks in advanced.

Jburns

Yes, the rep is correct- I think my colorguide is from 2017. see attached.

Attachments

• IMG_3258.jpg
    IMG_3258.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 693
Thank you for checking that for me. I have a pretty big job I did in 2016 with it, obviously unaware of its short outdoor life. Customer just called last week stating it was cracking, peeling and fading bad. But all the other colors I used were fine. Went and inspected it this weekend and sure enough, it was bad. Called Oracal tech support today and he told me it only had a 3 year shelf life across the board in any of their product lines. I asked where that was stated and he said on the color chart and tech sheet. I was shocked, I knew it wasn't stated on my color chart and wasn't stated on any of my suppliers sites. I then asked what other standard colors in 951 have limited outdoor life. He said only brilliant blue. haha, of course. My next question was why is it even available in 951 if it only lasts 3 years, I could buy it in 651 for less than half the price and and it would last just as long. He had no answer. I have used a lot of Oracal product over 14+ years, but I feel this is very deceitful of them. This is going to cost me a lot of time and money to fix. Not to mention I used some on a vehicle for another customer last summer. I guess I will waiting for a phone call. I just can't understand having a color in a 8-10 year product line that only lasts 3 years, and its the only one. Why even offer it? Or at least make it very clear to its short outdoor life.

Actually, there are 9 of the colors that are 3 year life. And all metallics are also reduced life.
I am aware of the metallics, some are 3, 5, 6 and 7 year, but they are in the sub category 951-M and are very clearly marked as to their outdoor durability. Where are these other 9 colors listed at??

unclebun

From the spec sheet pdf linked above:

10years –black and white
8years –colors& transparent
6 years – metallic
3 years – brilliant blue L, copper, gold metallic, bronze, pale gold, pyrite, red gold L, foliage green metallic, steppe green metallic

From the spec sheet pdf linked above:

10years –black and white
8years –colors& transparent
6 years – metallic
3 years – brilliant blue L, copper, gold metallic, bronze, pale gold, pyrite, red gold L, foliage green metallic, steppe green metallic

Gotcha. All of those other colors are the metallics, they are clearly listed every where as to their outdoor durability. Brilliant blue is the only standard gloss, non metallic color that doesn't last 8 years.. Again, why even offer it in 951. According to the tech it would last 3 years only in 651 too. I don't know, live and learn I guess. Im taking what I have left and tossing it.

OhioSigns

That's an eye opener. I have 2008, 2012, 2013 and 2015 Oracal color charts. In the 2008, the 851 series there is nothing stated about Brilliant Blue having a different lifespan. The 2012 only states 4 year on the 751 series, nothing about the 951 in brilliant blue. The 2013 states nothing about the 951 series but states 3 years for the 751 series. The 2015 states 3 years for the 951, 751 and 651 series and you really have to look through the charts to find that information. They should really put an asterick or something beside of it to indicate that it has a shorter lifespan. Avery uses symbols next to the swatch to indicate lifespan if it is different from what the series is supposed to be. Kind of a s**ty way for Oracal to do it. Looks like I need to get some new charts to make sure I have the correct information although I rarely use Oracal.

That's an eye opener. I have 2008, 2012, 2013 and 2015 Oracal color charts. In the 2008, the 851 series there is nothing stated about Brilliant Blue having a different lifespan. The 2012 only states 4 year on the 751 series, nothing about the 951 in brilliant blue. The 2013 states nothing about the 951 series but states 3 years for the 751 series. The 2015 states 3 years for the 951, 751 and 651 series and you really have to look through the charts to find that information. They should really put an asterick or something beside of it to indicate that it has a shorter lifespan. Avery uses symbols next to the swatch to indicate lifespan if it is different from what the series is supposed to be. Kind of a s**ty way for Oracal to do it. Looks like I need to get some new charts to make sure I have the correct information although I rarely use Oracal.

Thank you, I found it to be shocking and a little s***ty too. I almost exclusively use Oracal. So if I'm doing something that needs long term vinyl, right to the 951 I go. Trust me, if I knew it had a reduced life span as opposed to the rest of the product line I wouldn't have thought about touching it. Now I have a ton of this that I have to remove and replace on my dime and time. And it won't be getting replaced Oracal either. I'm assuming they have had prior problems with it and snuck it into the reduced life span list at some point. Because I have several examples of it not being on that list over the course of several years.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I knew this too about brilliant blue, but it was only because I read the specifications sheets online for Oracal that I found on USCutters website. There was some good information about that, but they should put that disclosure on the swatch booklet.

Pippin Decals

I Just had a issue with the same Color as well but it was 751.and it cracked and faded in 2 yrs old sign facing south . I had no idea the life span was that terrible, So i will be replacing the vinyl for the customer after seeing it failed so fast,The customer has not mentioned anything to me about how the sign looks at all,But because i have great relationships with with everyone i do business with, im going to do this because i want to for them. I have a perfect rack record on everything i do and this is not going to get by me lol.. So glad you posted this... I will be checking all the colors for now on.