• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help with replacing lighted sign panels

Northstar296

"Helping businesses grow, one sign at a time"
I ran into this type of lighted box before and lost the job because I couldn't figure out how to remove the old sign panels to replace them. Now I am faced with another lighted sign that I need to replace the sign panels and I don't want to lose this job. There are no retaining screws and the frame looks solid. No hinge system that I can see. I attached a couple of pics of the sign. Any help is appreciated. I'm tempted to cut the frame on one side and screw it back when I'm done, but I wanted it to look nice.

Attachments

• IMG_20120627_121638.jpg
    IMG_20120627_121638.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20120627_121630.jpg
    IMG_20120627_121630.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 91

GB2

Old Member
It's hard to tell from the picture but that looks like a cabinet that has the face frame clamped to it with internal clamps. In the slot just behind each face frame, on the top and bottom, there should be a few screws of some type that when loosened will release the internal clamp and allow the face frame to be removed.

Last edited:

2B

there has to be screws/hinges somewhere.

would get a look at the top and see what is there

Billct2

yep, it will require a closer look incluing the top. Are you sure there aren't a couple of set screws on the bottom? They could be hard to see.

nwsigns

I would also recommend having an electrician fix that mud box - the conduit looks like its loose and probably pulling the wires which are also rubbing on the box.

Northstar296

Do the top retainers come off?
There are no screws on the retainers at all. If it is hinged, the the hinge is inside not visible and there doesn't seem to have a release. I would pass this this on, but this is a new and very large account that I don't want to loose.

Northstar296

It's hard to tell from the picture but that looks like a cabinet that has the face frame clamped to it with internal clamps. In the slot just behind each face frame, on the top and bottom, there should be a few screws of some type that when loosened will release the internal clamp and allow the face frame to be removed.

I will give the channel a better look. Thanks

704signs

I guess if you had to you could cut a nice size hole in the face and take a look inside ... No turning back after that .. You will figure it out then..Just sayin.. Good Luck

VolunteerSign

I guess if you had to you could cut a nice size hole in the face and take a look inside ... No turning back after that .. You will figure it out then..Just sayin.. Good Luck

I had a friend that installed alarm systems. One he and the customer decided where they keypad was going, he stuck a phillips screwdriver through the drywall in that spot. Like you say, "no turning back after that" lol

cgsigns_jamie

Don't want to hijack your thread... but how is that sign still standing? Do they not have sign codes up there?

You have a support structure that looks like it's made of galvanized fence posts. The electrical conduit is TAPED to the pole. And the conduit is pulling out of the junction box exposing the wires.

If I were you I'd sell them an entirely new sign (one that meets code) or I'd run far away from this project. If something were to happen you could be held liable since you were the last one to work on the sign.

signage

Don't want to hijack your thread... but how is that sign still standing? Do they not have sign codes up there?

You have a support structure that looks like it's made of galvanized fence posts. The electrical conduit is TAPED to the pole. And the conduit is pulling out of the junction box exposing the wires.

If I were you I'd sell them an entirely new sign (one that meets code) or I'd run far away from this project. If something were to happen you could be held liable since you were the last one to work on the sign.

:goodpost: I was thinking the same thing!

OlsonSigns601

Without an arial lift, I wouldn't do it.

As for the wires... Chances are it doesnt light anway, and if its more that jsut changing a ballast or lamp, you'll need a licensed electrian.

I would just look at fixing as Im sure it can be done cheaper than getting a new sign. one thing is, it looks old and if its lasted this long who is to say besides the wiring, that structure itself isnt sound.

FS-Keith

the structure doesnt look bad. as for the power, get some proper clamps to keep the conduit attached. and reattach the liquid tight in the connector.

As for how the cabinet comes apart. There is an internal hinge in the extrusion. you will need to take the retainer screws out that are in the sides and bottom of that channel. then take the screws out of the top which will release the hinge system. you will have to take the entire retainer system to the ground with the face in. once you look at the back you will see how it comes part. most likely for that extrusion system with will be corner keys with screws. the rest should be self explanatory. If you have the right equipment that is no job to turn down.

Northstar296

the structure doesnt look bad. as for the power, get some proper clamps to keep the conduit attached. and reattach the liquid tight in the connector.

As for how the cabinet comes apart. There is an internal hinge in the extrusion. you will need to take the retainer screws out that are in the sides and bottom of that channel. then take the screws out of the top which will release the hinge system. you will have to take the entire retainer system to the ground with the face in. once you look at the back you will see how it comes part. most likely for that extrusion system with will be corner keys with screws. the rest should be self explanatory. If you have the right equipment that is no job to turn down.

Thank you very much!