• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need help with sign for semi truck

rossi graphics

need help with sign for semi truck ,signs have to be removable and
reusable normaly i would magnet material but most semi trucks are
aluminium so am at loss ? i dont want to throw it on coroplast tell the customer to tape it on . any ideas>:banghead:

thanks
bob

Mosh

Alumnium blanks they can bolt to the bottom of the bunk or to the
step/battery cover. Most truck drivers would lose a game of checkers to a stick.....Dumber than a stick!!!

Pat Whatley

You ever notice how many truck drivers will balk at the idea of "sticking letters" on the sides of the truck but don't think twice about bolting a piece of aluminum to it?

rossi graphics

i know about removable vinyl.

but i need it reuasble problem is the trucking company that i do work for has 2 names ---- transport and ---- logistics 2 diffrent uddot # ect.. the owner has couple trucks that he wants to switch between the two...
so any ideas .....so what about static kling it only on for couple days then switched then switched again and so on.

sdwnymph

Been working w/ rigs for past year myself. Normally do normal vinyl on them but have had some like your talking about. Magnets will stick to most rigs, but static cling and mags dont work after so many uses. One time we set up four metal hooks that strap down type that he put the coro sign on and folded over to keep it secure. Just took the sign off, flipped it and bent the hooks over it. Hope that gives you some ideas. Theres also the option of putting 2 metal "sleeves" that bolt to the metal that you slide the sign into.

i know about removable vinyl.

but i need it reuasble problem is the trucking company that i do work for has 2 names ---- transport and ---- logistics 2 diffrent uddot # ect.. the owner has couple trucks that he wants to switch between the two...
so any ideas .....so what about static kling it only on for couple days then switched then switched again and so on.

Read post #3.

iSign

"Rubber Steel" is an adhesive backed .040 thick semi-rigid material that can be cut to the shape of a nice looking sign (or a rectangle?) and vinyl graphics can be applied to the rubber steel, in the name of whichever of the two names that might be appropriate. The rubber steel creates a magnetic receptive area where a magnetic sign, cut to the same shape & lettered with the other trucking company name, can be mounted over the first trucking company name. If there are times they need the truck blank, then a blank vinyl film closely matching (or custom painted to match perfectly) can be applied to the rubber steel & then 2 different magnetic signs can be produced to fit that mag-receptive area.

Mosh

Truck drivers are the dumbest piles of crap you will ever deal with. Well they are right there with RACE CAR guys, bar owners, realtors and used cars salesmen. One bunch of Sh!t you want to shear clear of. Trust me they are all out for the cheapest crap they can get, and then don't want to pay for that!!!! I know, there are exceptions to the rule, and if you claim to be one, then you are NOT ONE!!!! Show me the money!!!!

iSign

I've done work for a few dozen truckers... things must be different over there... over here I typically charge, and get, roughly double the money I might get for the same amount of design work, material, and labor on other vehicles....

...AND I typically close the sale twice as fast & get twice as many reorders from truckers..

...out here truckers are not out bellowing their own know-it-all praises to the world either, like some sign makers.. so they may not know it all, but at least they know they don't :wink:

Mosh

I do at least three or four over the road trucks a week. If it is for "the company" not a big deal. BUT when "the company" let's the driver have some say, it turns into a CLUSTERF@#! " I wants that CHROME or THAT LAST GUY SUCKED so be happy I is commimg to you! Honestly I would be happy if they went somewhere else. But, they seek me out, like the head lice do trailerpark kids!!!

chopper

I do at least three or four over the road trucks a week. If it is for "the company" not a big deal. BUT when "the company" let's the driver have some say, it turns into a CLUSTERF@#! " I wants that CHROME or THAT LAST GUY SUCKED so be happy I is commimg to you! Honestly I would be happy if they went somewhere else. But, they seek me out, like the head lice do trailerpark kids!!!
Mosh,
you crack me up some of the funniest posts I have read in a while....
but I do agree with the lettering on the battery box, this is quite common here to put the lettering on an aluminum plate, or stainless and put a bolt in each corner (or sheet metal screws)
there are fancier ways but we know them truck drivers wont be able to figure out how to change them!! lol....
love ya Mosh..
//chopper

shakey0818

Install suction cups with hooks and a aluminum blank.Those dumb truckers wont realize they fall off till they are 1,000 miles away and think somebody stole them.Then you can re-sell them to them every time they come home from a trip.

iSign

I got it a number of years ago, from Product sign Supply in San Jose California
800-540-9199

A very easy durable solution.. Install an aluminum "J" channel frame on the truck for the sign to slide into. Like stated before truckers love bolting things onto their trucks. Make sure to use a sealant like silicone along the front and top frame edges. the Top, front, and bottom are "J" channel to hold the sign in and keep wind from getting behind it... The back frame edge can be a piece of "L" to but up against the sign to hold it into the frame and have the screws accessible for ease of change out.

You can really use any sign material but I would recommend something strong and light like aluma-cor. Just make sure whatever you use fits snug in the frame you make.

Good luck!

WinGraphics

Premium Subscriber
Rubber steel

Pm me if you want to try the rubber steel.I have about a 100 feet of it left from an old job. The material itself is just like magnetic materiel but without being magnetized. It has a very aggressive adhesive on the back so it will stick to any surface that vinyl will.

phototec

Use 30 mil outdoor adhesive magnet sheeting for base

need help with sign for semi truck ,signs have to be removable and
reusable normaly i would magnet material but most semi trucks are
aluminium so am at loss ?

Use 30 mil outdoor adhesive magnet sheeting the same size of your signage permanently applied to the aluminum semi truck, then you have a a magnetic base for the semi truck owner to install the two different magnetic signs, changing them as often as he would like. You can apply the magnetic signage to the magnetic base material which has been permanently applied to the aluminum semi truck, this should fix your problem.

http://www.magnetvalley.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/items.main/parentcat/4740/subcatid/30056/id/144556

:smile:

signage

Phototec have you done this? I was just wondering if regular magnetic material is the opposite pole so they attract? Just a question/thought!