• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help with vinyl cut lettering

Pideas

I'm doing some vinyl cut lettering with my Summa Cutter. I'm using CorelDraw software.

I'm trying to cut some script lettering. However, the letters overlap and one letter cuts into the next letter. See attached photo. I'm just wondering is there a way around this?

cut lettering.jpg

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
you need to unite, merge, combine the paths together. There are many names, not sure what Corel calls it - probably "weld" as said above.

Pideas

I tried them all and it didn't work. I tried Combine, Weld, Trim, Intersect, Simplify. I get the same result when I pull it up on the Summa Winplot window.

After typing out the name, I had to convert the font into curves. This allows me to get to the Combine, weld, trim, intersect functions. Am I doing this wrong?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Been a long time, but is there a command after welding called 'expand' or something similar ?? Make sure the width is set to 'hairline'.

Black Star

Not A New Member
First you need to "Break Artistic Text" from the "Arrange" drop down menu. Grab all of the text using the Pick Took. Then you need to "Convert to Curves" which is also in the "Arrange" drop down menu. Grab all of the text again and then click weld.

Rocco G

In Corel 2020 (not sure which version you are using - I've been using Corel sign V3) it's under the Object menu, scroll down to shaping then use the "weld" command.

I apparently never uninstalled Corel X6 and its under the "arrange" menu then down to shaping and weld. I tried it both before and after converting to curves and it's fine. If you have an older version of Corel, it should be the same as X6.

Did you accidentally lock the object because that will keep it from being altered.

Pideas

In Corel 2020 (not sure which version you are using - I've been using Corel sign V3) it's under the Object menu, scroll down to shaping then use the "weld" command.

I apparently never uninstalled Corel X6 and its under the "arrange" menu then down to shaping and weld. I tried it both before and after converting to curves and it's fine. If you have an older version of Corel, it should be the same as X6.
I'm using CoreDraw X8. It was under Object for me. However, the Weld feature did not work for me. I got the same result as before.

*Thanks everyone for the quick response. I figure this would be easy to figure out.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I tried them all and it didn't work. I tried Combine, Weld, Trim, Intersect, Simplify. I get the same result when I pull it up on the Summa Winplot window.

After typing out the name, I had to convert the font into curves. This allows me to get to the Combine, weld, trim, intersect functions. Am I doing this wrong?
Are you selecting all of the artwork? Try the direct selection tool, and select just the areas that over lap, then combine (weld)

Pideas

Select text > object menu > break artistic text
Select all of that > object menu > shaping flyout > weld

This worked! Thanks for everyones' help.

'Notarealsignguy' solution did not require that I convert the fonts to curves. When I tried it before, I had to convert the font to curves before I got the Weld option. Since I did not convert the fonts to curves, the welding option worked.

decalman

I'm a registered voter here. I assert my rights to vote for or against .... just like you and your clicky pal Buccidia.

Last edited: