• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need new computer

What would you suggest? My computer is about 3 years old. Just installed photoshop and it's slowing things down. What memory and processor would you buy if you were going to buy.

If a merchant member has some for sale let me know. Would like to talk.

ironchef

3 years old? What are the specs. Option one. Max out the ram on your current pc. Maybe add a ssd. And a few more things.. option two. Buy a newer cheapo. Like a hp pavilion. i have one. With amd chip. Or go build or buy a pimped out i7. Sandy bridge or ivy bridge. With a motherboard that can support 16gb of ram or more

Scott Reynolds

Newegg.com

I just built a new computer about a month ago and I'm lovin it!

I went with a quad core AMD, SSD drive and 16 gigs of ram. I just stepped up to Windows 7 Pro (64bit) at the same time. Life is good. Photo Shop, Illi, Flexi, everything is FAST.

If your just wanting to buy a custom PC, check out SignBurst PC here on 101. He can hook you up.

choucove

The question about what kind of computer you should look at really depends on a great deal of factors. First, what is your expected usage for this computer? Will it be a heavy-duty design system, running large format printers, cutting vinyl, or just basic office tasks? Next, what kind of budget are you working with or expecting for this new computer? There's a huge difference in recommendations for a new computer in the $800 price range and the $1,800 price range. What type of software are you planning to use on this computer, and are there any other specific needs or preferences, like small form factor or storage capacity needs? Do you have a preference on custom-built or pre-built, such as going with a Dell or HP system compared to having something custom built by a small shop?

There are a lot of factors that go into the decision as well as the recommendations. If you are looking only at a pre-built big name brand system, then I'd suggest either the HP Z-series workstations, or the Dell Precision series workstations. If you want to go with a custom-built configuration, you're going to get your best bang for your buck, but need to have someone reliable who can assemble it and support it for you, and ensure that you're getting the high end quality hardware for your money and not just the junk bottom rung hardware. If you're looking at going custom-built, then you might contact Casey with SignBurst for options down that route, but I can also give you some basic ideas of what kind of hardware range you're going to be needing but need some answers to the questions above first.

signswi

For a design rig an intel i7 with as much ram as you can afford and the best gaming video card you can afford (adobe apps use the gpu to accelerate performance, makes a huge difference). For a HD the fastest SSD you can afford, offloading long-term storage to a NAS and cloud backup.

</answer given every 2 days in this forum>

SignBurst PCs

Thanks guys! I appreciate the recommends. But Brett is correct, different situations require different setups. I can help with that for sure.

OldPaint

i find it hilarious.........for someone in this business to buy the fastest ram filled expensive computer......and then send a file to a printer..THAT TAKES 2 HOURS TO PRINT))))))
i learned long time ago when 4 megs of ram was the norm.........YOUR COMPUTER IS ONLY GONA BE AS FAST AS YOUR SLOWEST PERIPHERAL))))))))))))as for the 64 bit, what program are you running that is a 64 BIT APPLICATION??? only thing 64 bit is make you go out and BUY ALL NEW PROGRAMS. with processors norm 2-3 gig in speed, a 3.2 gig you wont even notice the differance.

WildWestDesigns

as for the 64 bit, what program are you running that is a 64 BIT APPLICATION???

Photoshop has been 64 bit for some time. He mentioned that he had that one there.

only thing 64 bit is make you go out and BUY ALL NEW PROGRAMS. with processors norm 2-3 gig in speed, a 3.2 gig you wont even notice the differance.

4 gigs will get you by if you don't multi task. Run a layout program, vector program, office program, email, internet, some type of entertainment and in my case an embroidery program and I eat up around 7 to 9 gigs on the high side depending on what files I'm working on.

I would rather have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. Although what I run doesn't apply to everyone, so situations will vary.

SignBurst PCs

Illustrator CS6 and Corel X6 are both 64 Bit now too.

Old Paint, I think that your workflow must be a little different than most of my customers.

Mosh

On one of my systems I run a plotter, printer, spotify (radio) and post on here all at the same time.

signswi

i find it hilarious.........for someone in this business to buy the fastest ram filled expensive computer......and then send a file to a printer..THAT TAKES 2 HOURS TO PRINT))))))
i learned long time ago when 4 megs of ram was the norm.........YOUR COMPUTER IS ONLY GONA BE AS FAST AS YOUR SLOWEST PERIPHERAL))))))))))))as for the 64 bit, what program are you running that is a 64 BIT APPLICATION??? only thing 64 bit is make you go out and BUY ALL NEW PROGRAMS. with processors norm 2-3 gig in speed, a 3.2 gig you wont even notice the differance.

This is why you don't use your workstation as your RIP. They should be separate. Waiting to work just because you're ripping something is a joke. Free tip: the things you learned "a long time ago" probably aren't applicable anymore. And what applications are 64bit? Beyond the OS itself, oh...only Photoshop and Illustrator, just minor little programs almost no one uses...:ROFLMAO:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I agree. It is in fact nearing the point that the tables are tipping and the question should just about be what programs are you still running that are still 32 bit.

Yes I am well aware that there is still a LOT of perfectly capable 32 bit applications out there. Heck we still run Flexi 8.6v2 which is not a native 64 bit app along with other 32bit apps like MS Office but they are all capable of running properly on a 64 bit OS. If it is so old that it is just incapable of running on a 64 bit OS then yes you will have to run a computer with 32 bit Windows on it.

Illustrator CS6 and Corel X6 are both 64 Bit now too.

Old Paint, I think that your workflow must be a little different than most of my customers.

Scott Reynolds

i find it hilarious.........for someone in this business to buy the fastest ram filled expensive computer......and then send a file to a printer..THAT TAKES 2 HOURS TO PRINT)))))).

Ya OP, he said "Photo Shop" is slowing down. This suggests that he is wanting to upgrade his "design" PC, not his RIP PC. I switched over to 16 gig, 64 bit W7, PS, Flexi and Illy, there is a noticeable difference. It is faster. My RIP on the other hand is running on a 8 year old PC with 3 gigs of ram and works just fine for printing those two hour long print jobs.