• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need new plotter

Blaster

Adam B.
Hey all, So our business has grown enough thats its time to get rid of my Titan cutter. Obvious choices are Graphtec or Summa. Im looking at the Summa S2 T160. Pros Cons? Its a alot of coin for sure but I think worth the investment for the future. Thoughts?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The Summas have a great reputation on this site and I think it's mostly because they are built well and the media tracking is excellent. Summa is one of the only brands that offer a true tangential cutter which means the blade actually rotates to the proper angle before cutting rather than just using a drag knife. The benefit to this is the edges cut much more cleanly and the accuracy in general is much better.

That being said, Graphtec is a great brand for drag knife style cutters. I would also recommend looking at the Mimaki line of cutters as they are my favorite. These cutters are definitely a good choice if you want to save some money but the Summa will be a better choice if you have the dough.

Andy D

I have always sworn by Graphtec, but the last one we bought at my last job seemed cheap & we had issues with the LED board.
The Mimaki plotter I'm using now is, by far, the best plotter I have ever used.... & I think it's about 10 years old.

No one ever seems to talk about the Roland CAMMs. I always assumed they were a good option too. Maybe not?

We have a Roland GX-24 Camm-1 cutter and it's been a fantastic machine, especially for an entry level machine. I can't really compare it to anything else though, as it's the only professional grade cutter I've used. My previous cutter was a Chinese hunk of crap and I upgraded to the Roland within the first couple years after struggling constantly with that cheap Chinese unit. The tracking is great, in my opinion and it does a good job all around on a variety of materials.

Glad to hear the Mimaki's are good. You hear so much about Summa/Roland/Graphtec, I wasn't sure what to think of Mimaki's cutters. When we eventually upgrade, I'll consider this, as our printer/cutter is also a Mimaki and we've had great success with it.

Pippin Decals

Hey all, So our business has grown enough thats its time to get rid of my Titan cutter. Obvious choices are Graphtec or Summa. Im looking at the Summa S2 T160. Pros Cons? Its a alot of coin for sure but I think worth the investment for the future. Thoughts?

What titan do you have? Is it the Basic titan or titan 2 or 3 and what size? If its what im looking for as a back up i may be interested in it if your wanting to get rid of it if it works perfect. Just a thought.Send me a pm please.

Blaster

Adam B.
What titan do you have? Is it the Basic titan or titan 2 or 3 and what size? If its what im looking for as a back up i may be interested in it if your wanting to get rid of it if it works perfect. Just a thought.Send me a pm please.
Hey, it’s the Titan 3. It’s been fine but I really need to have something w the ability to perfcut. I’d be interested in selling it. I’ll pm you.

Mark H

Hey, it’s the Titan 3. It’s been fine but I really need to have something w the ability to perfcut. I’d be interested in selling it. I’ll pm you.
I'm looking at buying my 1st plotter and considering a Titan #. Somewhere on this site I read to by the SE and stay away from the blue one. Is that true or did you have a blue Titan 3?

Thanks

Ridgeracer24

No one ever seems to talk about the Roland CAMMs. I always assumed they were a good option too. Maybe not?
I had a Roland GR-640 for 3.5 months and it lasted about a week before it started to slice cut across the sheet randomly on jobs ruining them. Took Roland almost 4 months to take it back and admit something was wrong with it. They ended up taking back my RF-640 and GR640 and I chose to go with an XR-640 instead because they couldn't guarantee that a replacement cutter wouldn't do the same hardware glitches. Don't buy a Roland GR cutter stay away.

bannertime

I had a Roland GR-640 for 3.5 months and it lasted about a week before it started to slice cut across the sheet randomly on jobs ruining them. Took Roland almost 4 months to take it back and admit something was wrong with it. They ended up taking back my RF-640 and GR640 and I chose to go with an XR-640 instead because they couldn't guarantee that a replacement cutter wouldn't do the same hardware glitches. Don't buy a Roland GR cutter stay away.

Interesting. We've never even considered them. For sure wouldn't now. Always thought they were pretty over priced.

Pippin Decals

I'm looking at buying my 1st plotter and considering a Titan #. Somewhere on this site I read to by the SE and stay away from the blue one. Is that true or did you have a blue Titan 3?

Thanks

You really want to avoid the Sc and the Mh or any starter series cutter. But it depends on your budget and what you plan on doing or needing to do.. I dont print any decals etc so i use the titan 2 28" cutter ,Its amazing ,super quiet and its a servo cutter versus the Sc and Mh are a stepper motor( very loud And not as accurate all the time plus major static issues when it wants). I make 4x8 signs ,banners etc on my titan 2 28" . For software i use Ai cc and Sure Cuts A lot 5pro on my pc. If you need more info or help send me a pm bud. I can fill your mind with info etc.

decalman

I got a 30in. lightweight Summa d75.
It works perfect for me.
Tracking, and smooth cuts. I can pick it up and move it around easily.