• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need opinion on font modification

SignManiac

Top line is the font typed out as intended. Bottom I modified the connections of the r's. Do you think it helps or hampers the flow of the name?

Attachments

• parker.jpg
    parker.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 86

Jillbeans

I didn't like it at first but it kind of grew on me.
What bugs me is the tail of the k.
I'd try to make a downward swash for that with an echoing upward swash on the right v arm.
I'd probably not diddle with the connectors and try the above suggestion.
Love....Jill

SignManiac

Now that you point it out, I also see the r's looking like v's.... Oh well, I'll see if I can find something that has a script feel yet is easy to read and legible.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When hand painting or doing calligraphy, that kinda ‘r’ is not the kind which flows for an upswing off the previous letter. It tends to look awkward If you’d use the correct ‘r’…. you’d have to connect the ‘o’ to the ‘v’ and then to the ‘e’.

If I were you, I’d disconnect the ‘k’ from the ‘e’, play with the kerning and call it a day.

SignManiac

I found a script that I was able to make work. The design on the bottom is what the client sent me. Her cousin is a graphic designer. This sign is a 5oth anniversary gift for her grand parents and will be in an outdoor setting at the entrance to an orange grove surrounded by nature.

I explained that her design would not translate well to a carved wood sign which is what she would like. She was very understanding and flexible to any suggestions I might have. After the discussion it was determined that it's always been know as Parker Grove and that Green Brae was just something the grandparents called the property amongst the family. I suggested focusing on the grove name first and the pet name second. She agreed so this is where I'm at.

I'll wait to hear what her thoughts are on the design so far. Her cousins oranges made me think of boobs. And the est. letters were a 1/2" high and the thin strokes would have been a ***** to carve.

Attachments

• parker.jpg
    parker.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 72

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I like boobs. :thumb:

What's wrong with boobs ?? Don't you like boobs ?? Is there something wrong with you, that you don't like boobs ?? I'd get that checked out if I were you. Don't like boobs. What a boob...... :banghead:

SignManiac

I like boobs. :thumb:

What's wrong with boobs ?? Don't you like boobs ?? Is there something wrong with you, that you don't like boobs ?? I'd get that checked out if I were you. Don't like boobs. What a boob...... :banghead:

Boobs are awesome is all I have to say on the subject, but best when attached to a warm blooded woman!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Two things.... and I'm not talkin' about the boobs this time.

The plaque at the bottom doesn't seem to fit in.

Also, with the wide spacing between G R E E N B R E A, I think you either need more space between the two words or less between all the other letters. It almost all runs together.

Really like the overall sign. That's something they'll cherish in their 'Golden Years'. :thumb:

Marlene

not loving any of the fonts so far. that last one might be OK but needs some work. find an upper case "G" that looks like a G and not a big lower case G. that won't be easy as a lot of script fonts don't have a G like looks like a G. you might have to marry two fonts to get that but it will look better. also the "P" so too foo foo looking. the first font you used would be better than the last one if you clipped the "k".

vid

Cataneo? It's an unassuming script. It's got a nice calligraphic feel and a good weight for legibility... Admittedly, it's not very daring, but it seems to wear well.

Attachments

• 101_ParkerGrove.jpg
    101_ParkerGrove.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 81

SignManiac

Haha :) her cousin designed the two and she said she'd like to use his version. Hell, one less orange for me to carve anyway!

SignManiac

Okay I'm putting this one to bed. She "client" loves it! I know I can tweak it to hell and back but I.O.A.F.S.

Last edited: