• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need opinions on a printer

mfatty500

Anybody here use the Sawgrass VJ628 with florescent inks? Pros/Cons? Or anybody in the Chicagoland area that runs one be willing to allow us to visit to see how it operates/prints etc.?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The VJ628 is actually a Mutoh printer branded as Sawgrass and uses the Sawgrass inks. I can't really tell you about the inks but the printer is solid. A lot of people run Mutoh 1624Ws, 1638X, and 2638 printers for dye sublimation and these are the big production machines. The reason I bring those machines up is because they use the exact same print head as the VJ628. So the VJ628 is a 24" desktop dye sub printer with the same print head as a 100" production dye sub printer. Can't go wrong with that. Also, you aren't going to find many, or any, printers out there that are going to print higher quality so you don't really have to worry so much about print quality as you do with workflow. I would definitely try to get a demo and see someone run a job from start to finish. The one knock I would give this machine is that it doesn't have a display and only can be controlled through software. So there is a power button, an Ethernet port and nothing else.

mfatty500

Thanks, I knew that it was a rebranded Mutoh, while I was watching a video from Conde, yesterday, David Gross, (the guru) said that it uses an epson head. I haven't heard that one before, so that kind of thru me for a loop. We are really looking to print florescent colors, and this larger, (than a Sawgrass SG800) is the only one that fits the bill for our needs. Thanks again!

Darryl Day

i recently purchased the Mutoh and have watched the videos on the sawgrass since there doesn't seem to be much on the Mutoh, I have been cutting vinyl for a bit but this is my first printer, I noticed on the sawgrass that you could use an 8 color instead of the 4, does this also apply to the Mutoh? I cannot seem to print a good red would this help?