• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need printer plotter advice

twocents

Desperately need a new printer plotter, I am spending tons of money monthly on decals and stickers. I need a color machine that prints and contour cuts. Contemplating the Summa DC5, as I like that it doesn't need to be laminated. Anyone using this for small decals and graphics and happy with it? A friend has recommended the Roland Verscamm but I hate to have the extra step of lamination. Any other good printers that can do the job?

Dr. Kirill

Summa

Actually i shop for small printer/ cut combo myself
Trying to convince My management to get DC5sx myself i already have regular s2 t160 which is best cutter by far than any graphtec mutoh or roland i had

My Management were trying to get 20" Rolland since it could be putted on desk but i did't heard good responses about it from my vendor and next step up will be in same dimension and $3000 on top and laminating to get 1/2 of what i can get from heat transfer w/o extra effort and maintenance

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure what you are going to use this machine for, but most things are basically scratch resistant when using thermal technology. It will repel most soft cleaners, but it won't hold up against scratches from tree limbs, it will shift in colors, granted.... not as quickly, but it WILL happen. Thermal is the strongest of all procedures, but for vehicles or signs, you'd be taking quite a chance if you don't laminate. The myth of not needing a laminate is just a sales pitch. It can be done, but not recommended by anyone, other than summa salespeople.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I don't care what you've heard or who says what here.
YOU HAVE TO LAMINATE PRINTS OF ANY KIND FOR LONG-TERM OUTDOOR USE.

That being said (SCREAMED), having an all-in-one machine is more of a pain than two-separate machines.
A printer & plotter do not have to be the same brand either as long as your software prints the correct marks to be read by your plotter.