• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Reusable Stencil Material

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I have a client that, among other things, rents river rafting gear. In the past I've cut stencils with his simplified logo so he could paint them on each raft as required by some law somewhere. I used to get 11x17 Mylar sheets of stencil material from Hobby Lobby, apply app tape for a backing, and cut them on my plotter. Unfortunately Hobby Lobby, nor anyone else apparently, carries this material. Not entirely a tragedy as this stuff was a pain in the butt to cut.

So now I need just a bit of 18" wide reusable and cuttable stencil media. Either sheets or roll and preferably with some sort of backing. An internet search produces a plethora of hobby supplies that could possibly be made to work but I can't be the only one on the planet wanting to cut reusable stencils. What media has anyone here used successfully?

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
It's not cheap, but you might try flipping over some 3M 7725 electrocut vinyl and cutting the back side of it? If you have some old odd colors laying around it might be worth a try.

idsignsil

We have used Gerber LexEdge before - 15" roll. We cut it on our HS-15 plus. Also, cut it slow, and not all the way through. Then when done, you should be able to use you hands and pop out the cut areas. May take a few tries to get the pressure just right.

Tony McD

I've needed to make a stencil or two, but not enough to warrant buying a roll of anything.
Ended up using sandblast resist. Cut one normal, and one reverse, stuck back to back.
Makes a fairly nice rubber stencil that lasts a while.