• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need small CNC router, what should I get

ams

I wanted to go with Laguna Tools or Multicam, but I need a cheaper start up machine to start learning on. I only need it to make molds right now that can withstand a Kiln.

I am looking for something 12" X 18" cut area or up to a 2' X 3'. What kind of substrate will hold up in a 2,000 degree kiln? Wood, PVC, Acrylic?
Problem is, I need something to cut dimensional up to a 1/4" deep in a substrate that will hold up in a kiln.

Thanks,

Eric H

I don't know what you could cut on there that would hold up to those temps, even aluminum melts at 1200 degrees. If you were even considering plastics or wood you need to do a lot more research.

GB2

Old Member
I may have a Gerber Dimension 200X for sale if you are interested. It's an excellent machine to get started with routing.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I wanted to go with Laguna Tools or Multicam, but I need a cheaper start up machine to start learning on. I only need it to make molds right now that can withstand a Kiln.

I am looking for something 12" X 18" cut area or up to a 2' X 3'. What kind of substrate will hold up in a 2,000 degree kiln? Wood, PVC, Acrylic?
Problem is, I need something to cut dimensional up to a 1/4" deep in a substrate that will hold up in a kiln.

Thanks,

Depending on what you are molding you may need to look in to clay, rubber, or stone molds.

Z SIGNS

You need to know about casting first

You don't make molds with a cnc.
You make patterns that the molds are made from

phototec

First you make your positive pattern with you CNC machine out of almost ANY material you want, then you make your mold OVER the pattern which is a NEGATIVE of the pattern, again you can use many types of materials, usually a high temp plaster material like used for slip-casting and firing ceramic mugs etc. Then the high temp plaster mold is used in the Kiln to mold a positive part.

S
e
e

Y
o
u
T
u
b
e

ams

I am seeing people use "Lost Foam" and things like it. Along with dirt, baby powder, etc to make plaques.
I am guessing you remove the foam or whatever material before casting?

Billct2

Like others have said you would use a CNBC to make a form to create the mold. The mold would have to be made from a refractory material designed to withstand the temp in a kiln. The material in a "list" mold is vaporized in the process of being used. I'm sure there are videos and forums for what you are looking to do

limacchina

Agree. We have customers that make molds from MDF, not sure what they use for high temperature klin.

First you make your positive pattern with you CNC machine out of almost ANY material you want, then you make your mold OVER the pattern which is a NEGATIVE of the pattern, again you can use many types of materials, usually a high temp plaster material like used for slip-casting and firing ceramic mugs etc. Then the high temp plaster mold is used in the Kiln to mold a positive part.

S
e
e

Y
o
u
T
u
b
e