• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need some advice on how to wrap this

sheitmar

So, this local company approached me a few weeks ago, these guys do lift kits on trucks - basically they make them look like whoever is driving it is compensating for something...

ANYWAY, this guy was taking his truck to SEMA in Vegas, and the company that had originally wrapped the truck in 3M 1080 Matte Dark Gray was unable to do the fixes to the wrap soon enough for him. There were some issues with rock chips damaging parts of the wrap. So he comes to me and asks me to redo his dually fender flares (pictured - they're the round ones at the back). I didn't have anything pressing for time so I said I could help him out.

After literally 10 hours of removal (the entire flares were doused with Primer 94 - what a PAIN), and then about 5 hours to do the installation, the customer threw me a little extra for the unexpected issues with the peel. Now though, he called me up and says he needs them redone again, because of the stretch marks in the film.

I took a look at it, and indeed there are some faint lines from stretching the vinyl and where I squeegeed. This is very faint, and you can only see it under direct sunlight - in my shop it was totally invisible. We're going to tackle this again in the spring, but I was just wondering if there were some special techniques that people have discovered for wrapping such a round object? Seams are out of the question, and that's fair. Should I pre-stretch the vinyl, similar to how to properly wrap mirrors?

Attachments

• 1473394_10153498650500327_1564031031_o (1).jpg
    1473394_10153498650500327_1564031031_o (1).jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 1395449_10153479366590204_681083824_n.jpg
    1395449_10153479366590204_681083824_n.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 67

jfiscus

Rap Master
It's NOT paint, it cannot be as perfect as a professional paint job.
Get better lights in your shop?
Discuss plastidip/plasticoat?

fresh

Any personal projects like this get a big surcharge. Car people can be really really nit-pickey, and we often assume its going to take more than one try to get it right (in their opinion) or its going to take us longer than typical to install in order to quadruple check measurements, etc.

MrSalumi

I wrapped a Myers Manx with the same material and same color and I know what you mean about the faint lines. The matte finish doesn't play well with a squeegee edge even if its felt covered. I had pretty good luck using my fingers and a felt pad to apply the pressure. The good thing about that 1080 film is that it can handle that complex curve all day long.

HulkSmash

For what it is you did a good job. 5 hrs to install is a little excessive, but it's whatever.
This isn't paint. Doing that fat fender is going to stretch, or it isn't going on.

sheitmar

Thanks guys - and yeah - 5 hours was a lot for this job, but I had a feeling he was picky so I didn't rush it.

Not really sure how to approach this with him, when I went to see the flares I had a hard time not just saying "This is what you called me here to look at?". I have a feeling this won't work in my favor if I decide to continue dealing with him. He wants a paint job finish but doesn't want the paint job prices. I think I'll be better off without him.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Cut a strip of the scrap, remove the backer and show him the air grooves in the adhesive side.
Get it real close so he can see them clearly & then apply it directly to his eyes.
The stretch marks in the fenders will magically vanish.
Take off running before he can remove it (as long as you are going to write him off anyway).

wayne k
guam usa