• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need some help from the pros.

JR's

I got to refinish this sign some hack did 17 years ago and it looks like some one tried to touch up the letters shawomet with finger nail polish.

The filler around the signs fell out there is foam and MDO, what is a good filler that wont crack and fall out.
Thanks.
JR

Attachments

• 100_0967.jpg
    100_0967.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 100_0965.jpg
    100_0965.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 129

Marlene

17 years ago...sounds like time for a new sign, not a re-do of this one. it's pretty much dead from the looks of it.

iSign

if it's lasted 17 years, I wouldn't say it was a hack job at all. At least in the pic, it looks like some decent craftsmanship to me, for a hand made sign?

weaselboogie

Sand it down. If the material looks too weathered that a little TLC won't fix then go new.... It sure looks like it's in decent shape.

I just redid two wood signs that looked like ass, but after a strip, sand and paint, it looks as good as new.

Marlene

really?

if i told a customer that this sign was not refurbishable.... i'd have to have my head looked at again.....

a sign is not a forever thing. they have a life time, they age and they should be replaced. there are some that can be sanded, patched a little and re-painted to give them a few more years. there are some, like the one in the photo, that has lived a long good life are ready for the bone yard. you can fix it up but it will look like a shabby sign with a new coat of paint. I've seen some fixed up and unless you are an antique shop where an old, been around for many years sign will work for you, it just looks shabby. plus there's the cost. there's a point where the labor involved works out to be more than a new sign.

Pat Whatley

I've been using Magic Sculpt lately to fill in gaps and have been very pleased with how it's working out. I used Bondo for years with good results, too.

JR's

I need to know what type off filler that will hold up better in between the two layers.
I have to fill in the middle of foam and MDO.

Thanks
JR