• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need tips for single person banner install onto a concrete wall.

0igo

I've done a couple banner installs before but never done one on a concrete wall and by myself. wondering how I should approach it. any help it's appreciated.

DirtyD

I've done a couple banner installs before but never done one on a concrete wall and by myself. wondering how I should approach it. any help it's appreciated.[/QUOTE

Tools Needed:
1.) Hammer Drill w/ masonry bit
2.) tapcons w/ washers
3.) banner
4.) Tape Measure

Measure where the banner goes - mark the spot for the first grommet - hammer drill a hole with a masonry bit - take your tapcon screw for the size of hole you drilled put a washer on it and the screw it into the wall in the grommet hole - unroll the banner and pull taught and do the next top corner - then remainder grommets - then cleanup

JR's

You have some good advice here. I would add
it's best to put the holes in the grout lines of the wall. Easier to repair and less chance of blowout.
You can also run a cable for the top of the banner. And three I bolts for the bottom. Using bungee cords for all four corners and the center.
If you're by yourself, bring some rope with you. Attach one corner of the banner. Tie a rope to the other end of the banner. Move the ladder where it has to go climb the ladder and pull the banner to you using the rope.
Do this on a calm day

Lind SignSpring

Not to self promote but...

Our BannerFrame system is made for easy one-person installs. No grommets, frustration, etc.
attachment.php

Give us a call if you're interested! Or email me at CMA@LindMedia.com

Attachments

• 12 BannerFrame Pictorial Installation Instructions(9-13-15).pdf
    872.2 KB · Views: 179

petepaz

Don't know how big the banner is but get your self some gorrilla tape or 3m hi-tack tape to help hold it up while you are measuring and making sure it's straight.
Then do what everyone else already mentioned. Another option is the lind spring set up. They are a merchant member and their banner hanging kit looks pretty good.

Lind SignSpring

Don't know how big the banner is but get your self some gorrilla tape or 3m hi-tack tape to help hold it up while you are measuring and making sure it's straight.
Then do what everyone else already mentioned. Another option is the lind spring set up. They are a merchant member and their banner hanging kit looks pretty good.

Thanks!

Sign Works

IMO hammer drills suck, for clean consistant hole drilling in concrete I prefer to use a "SDS rotary hammer".

Unlike sign substrates you can take a trip to your local Home Depot and pick up a descent rotary hammer for a very reasonable price.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-12...lDog-Extreme-Rotary-Hammer-11255VSR/202080348

Also for banner installs on concrete walls I prefer to use plastic wall anchors instead of concrete screws, use whichever you prefer.

Attachments

• e4c600c2-e288-488b-90c9-0ec5779511b9_1000.jpg
    e4c600c2-e288-488b-90c9-0ec5779511b9_1000.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 153

reQ

IMO hammer drills suck, for clean consistant hole drilling in concrete I prefer to use a "SDS rotary hammer".

I have both and sometimes hammer drill is more handy. Did install 8 banners 4x20 ft banner 2 weeks ago. Had to work of a ladder at roughly 16 ft height and my cordless dewalt hammer drill did good for concrete. 2 4AH batteries were enough to drill all holes that i needed + very fast install with cordless impact.

DirtyD

SDS is great, I have a dewalt that I got at auction for $15 bucks with case..It was store return almost brand new!

Just Don't always have an outlet to run a cord too. I don't put plastic anchors in because when we remove we plug the hole with grout caulk..or printable caulk and touch up

mfatty500

An SDS or Rotary hammer drill is not necessary when drilling into a Mortar joint, a cordless drill,(hammer, or regular drill with a masonry bit) will do the trick.

The Hobbyist

I'm not a "pro" :rolleyes: but a few questions popped into my mind:

- How big is this banner?

- How high off of the ground is the top and bottom?

- How long will it be hanging there?

- Is this a one-time thing, or just the first of many banners that will be hung on the same wall over the next (n) years?

- Is the banner subjected to strong winds?

- Is the banner reinforced vinyl, or paper?

- Has webbing been sewn into the edges?

- Does the banner have grommets?

A Tapcon mount will work ONCE, but what do you do when the customer calls back and says, "Now hang THIS one..." and the replacement banner is a different width and height? Soon, you'd end up with a wall full of ugly holes, or epoxy patches and paint splotches.

I would ask the customer if a banner at this location will be a regular, or semi-regular thing. If so, I would mount a weather resistant material to the wall with Tapcons in a rectangular frame (like composite decking planks) and attach the banner to that material. I would also tell the customer that ALL future banners must be the same size, so there is no "Hole War" going on.

If the banner is subjected to winds, I would look at fastening down some trim around the edges to prevent the winds from ripping the banner from the wall. Something like the 1x2" PVC strips from the Big Box stores would work to keep all edges tightly against the wall.

Now if the banner is just for a one-time three-day weekend event, that changes everything.

0igo

I'm not a "pro" :rolleyes: but a few questions popped into my mind:

- How big is this banner?

- How high off of the ground is the top and bottom?

- How long will it be hanging there?

- Is this a one-time thing, or just the first of many banners that will be hung on the same wall over the next (n) years?

- Is the banner subjected to strong winds?

- Is the banner reinforced vinyl, or paper?

- Has webbing been sewn into the edges?

- Does the banner have grommets?

A Tapcon mount will work ONCE, but what do you do when the customer calls back and says, "Now hang THIS one..." and the replacement banner is a different width and height? Soon, you'd end up with a wall full of ugly holes, or epoxy patches and paint splotches.

I would ask the customer if a banner at this location will be a regular, or semi-regular thing. If so, I would mount a weather resistant material to the wall with Tapcons in a rectangular frame (like composite decking planks) and attach the banner to that material. I would also tell the customer that ALL future banners must be the same size, so there is no "Hole War" going on.

If the banner is subjected to winds, I would look at fastening down some trim around the edges to prevent the winds from ripping the banner from the wall. Something like the 1x2" PVC strips from the Big Box stores would work to keep all edges tightly against the wall.

Now if the banner is just for a one-time three-day weekend event, that changes everything.

the banners are 4x10ft about 18 ft off the ground. i was thinking about using some tapcons but i do know how i would drill one side at a time. i dont want the banner dangling in the air lol

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
SDS's Rock. If you don't own one you should. Hammer Drills will sometimes cut it, but if it's precast concrete, there's just no comparison.

To me it sounds like you really need to find someone to help you. 18' in the air without a spotter or just an extra set of hands sounds like a death wish - unless you rent a scissor lift or bucket truck.

Also, I know folks like tapcons, but I find them hard to use. Crank them in just a little to far and the hole strips out. I prefer an eyelet in a plastic or lead anchor, then from there use some Heavy Duty UV Resistant black zipties to pull the banner tight. These will need to be ordered online as Home Depot doesn't have strong enough ones. This way the banner can be replaced, and you have a tensioning system you can use.

As for installation, here's how I might try it:

1. Draw a chalkline or something on the building at the top edge of where the banner will go. This will help you keep it level. You only need a few lines about where your grommets will go. If you use my eyelet method above, your placement doesn't need to be perfect as there will be room for adjustment later.
  2. Roll the banner print side in from right to left. This will expose the upper left hand grommet on the outside edge. While keeping the banner rolled up, secure the upper left corner.
  3. Unroll the banner as you move along the wall (on your scissor lift).
  4. Secure the upper right corner when you get to it.
  5. Go back and secure every grommet to the building.

If you can't get a scissor lift or a second set of hands, you're going to need to come up with a heck of a jig to hold that banner in the air while you unroll it from the ground or the opposite ladder.

Sign Works

SDS's Rock. If you don't own one you should. Hammer Drills will sometimes cut it, but if it's precast concrete, there's just no comparison.

To me it sounds like you really need to find someone to help you. 18' in the air without a spotter or just an extra set of hands sounds like a death wish - unless you rent a scissor lift or bucket truck.

Also, I know folks like tapcons, but I find them hard to use. Crank them in just a little to far and the hole strips out. I prefer an eyelet in a plastic or lead anchor, then from there use some Heavy Duty UV Resistant black zipties to pull the banner tight. These will need to be ordered online as Home Depot doesn't have strong enough ones. This way the banner can be replaced, and you have a tensioning system you can use.

As for installation, here's how I might try it:

1. Draw a chalkline or something on the building at the top edge of where the banner will go. This will help you keep it level. You only need a few lines about where your grommets will go. If you use my eyelet method above, your placement doesn't need to be perfect as there will be room for adjustment later.
  2. Roll the banner print side in from right to left. This will expose the upper left hand grommet on the outside edge. While keeping the banner rolled up, secure the upper left corner.
  3. Unroll the banner as you move along the wall (on your scissor lift).
  4. Secure the upper right corner when you get to it.
  5. Go back and secure every grommet to the building.

If you can't get a scissor lift or a second set of hands, you're going to need to come up with a heck of a jig to hold that banner in the air while you unroll it from the ground or the opposite ladder.

4' x 10' banner install 18' up ... spotter, bucket truck, scissor lift, zip ties, death wish ??????????
Must be a totally different world in Nebraska.
A 4' x 10' really isn't that big at all and 18' really isn't that high, 24' extension ladder, rotary hammer, generator, level, tape measure, plastic wall anchors, screws, fender washers and 30 minutes, done.