• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Need To Match Truck Color To Cmyk

Hello,
I have a customer that wants the red in his logo to match the red on his truck (chevey victory red) can anyone tell me what I need to do or what I need to purchase so I can match that color and properly code it in the artwork so it prints the correct match?
THANKS!

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Matching colours across platforms and systems is rarely exact. But if you want reasonable results, have customer bring truck by on an overcast day. Take you Pantone swatch book out an find a good match. Check the match on both horizontal and vertical surfaces. Then, see what vinyls are available. Or try to match colour on your printer. Charge him by the hour. Inform customer that colour matching is inexact and that a match today may not be so in six months or two years.

BTW, The best way to match the truck colour is to knock out (cut out) the part of the design that needs to be the truck colour.

Hope this helps

ikarasu

How often do you match colors?

Nix Pro Color Sensor - - Amazon.com

$350. Kind of expensive... But worth it if you plan on matching a lot. It'll tell you closest vinyl match, CMYK values (unless your printer is profiled 100%, CMYK values will only get you close.. you can use them values to print a lot of swatches and find a match though).

As others have said... Sun fade will change the color faster than paint , so make sure your customer knows while it'll match now, 2 years down the road it'll be faded.

Thank you for the replies,
The truck I am doing the graphics on is white but the customer wants his name to be in the red that matches his other red trucks... So I cant cut out that part and let the paint show through. I also plan to use a digital print because he has two thin strokes around the main copy that would be tough to get perfect doing layered vinyl.
I don't often match colors so the $350 would prob be a waste. I think I will print a color sample and see what CMYK combinations looks best
THANKS!

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
Digital print your color chart on the actual vinyl media you will be using for the job. This is important.