Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to wrap a trailer on the cheap for 2 days use

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by datoshway, Sep 17, 2012.

1. datoshway

datoshway Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Rhode Island
    I have a client who needs a full wrap for a 2 day event, the trailer is a POS and has rivets. They do not want to spend alot, what do you guys think about just doing it with a calendered vinyl. Do you think it can look ok for 2 days use?

Tags:
  2. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    GF Automark

http://www.graphiccommerce.com/AutoMARK application guide1.pdf

3. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

I'd bite the bullet and just do it in regular wrap vinyl. Going to a cheaper vinyl will save them in material, but it'll make the install labor significantly harder, the finished product won't look amazing, and you'll regret it when the time comes to remove it. If nothing else, just the removal labor will more than offset the additional cost of the material.

4. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Okay, I don't get it.

You have a customer which wants approximately.... $2,500 to $3,000 worth of work performed, but because it's for two days, he wants it......... c h e a p er ??

Just because I'm gonna eat a huge lobster meal and the finest wines, crap it out in a few hours.... is reason to get it cheaper than going to Burger King's ??

A product is what it is. You can cut corners on material and make your life miserable, but what for ??

If someone wants cheap lettering, they basically can't order top of the line kinda graphics. Sure, you might be able to finagle 10% or 15%, but like mentioned.... you still have to go through the process and possibly with some extra elbow grease or aggravation. Think about it before you just give the guy a cheap quote and paint yourself in a corner.

5. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Gino I would have thought you would have said I want a drink of Bushmills for the price of water!:rolleyes::Big Laugh

6. insignia

He says the trailer is a POS, so I'm going to guess the screws are probably rusted in place. I've yet to meet an old trailer that you can get all of the screws out of. New trailers, yes, pull them out, wrap with calendered, even a low-tack removable calendered, put screws back in and be done. Chances are the screws are rusty and are not removable, meaning he's going to have to wrap over them. Calendered is going to make that miserable and the end result is going to look less than amazing. And, like I said, unless you use a removable calendered, it's going to be a nightmare to remove.

7. insignia

Another though, if it's just for 2 days, is just screwing a couple big banners to each side of the trailer an option?

8. DRPSignsNGrafix

DRPSignsNGrafix Very Active Member

Nov 3, 2005
    I'd use Calendered non permenant vinyl. It will be fine, I used it all the time on race trailers for a full wrap that was coming off at the end of the summer to get a new one done for the next season. It looked good and held up fine. For your 2 day need. Go for it. Will look even better if it's screws you can remove.

9. Signsforwhile

Signsforwhile Very Active Member

Feb 17, 2006
    New York
    Is it to be parked at the event? Why not just print banners the size of the trailer and mount them to it.....

10. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office

Ding, ding ding...QFT!!

11. royster13

royster13 Very Active Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Montrose BC
    Did you ask your client how much they want to spend? You could be "spinning your wheels" top find a solution for a project they can not afford....

12. 401Graphics

401Graphics Very Active Member

13. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    This.

You ever notice how many of those "just need it for a couple of days" jobs are still being used four years later?

14. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida

I'm with Gino on this all the way.

15. slappy

slappy Very Active Member

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    OMG! You did just go there!

That is great! No wonder i :loveya: you! I'd trademark that if i was you!:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

16. weaselboogie

weaselboogie Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Us
    I bet he comes back to you complaining that his 2 day wrap is failing in 2 years.

17. k.a.s.

k.a.s. Very Active Member

Aug 8, 2003
    NE ohio

If he wants cheap do this.

Kevin

18. datoshway

datoshway Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Rhode Island
    Thanks everyone, wrapped it today, took out the star screws throughout, wrapped is in Arlon Calendered. Looks mint.