• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need your opinion - Magnum magnetic material

brush1

One of my customers told me today his 4 oval cut 12"x24" blew away while driving. All 4 what I did for him!!!!????
I use Magnum magnetic 030. I never had anything like this in 14 years.
2 businessess next door have magnets from the same roll. I asked them how they hold up. They told me is hard to remove them from the car.
How you will handle situation like this?
Thank you

O

onlinestar

many cars are not made of ferrous metals these days anymore

brush1

I try to be nice and respect all my customers. I was treat not nice....but this doesn't mean I will pay back the same way.
This customer own an paving and asphalt business. I try to figure out if this may have any thing to do with this.....or they just stick it to dirty car.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
All four ?? I'd sooner think he either lost them on his own or got them all covered in tar and threw them away.

How long did he have them ??

If it's less than a few days, I'd re-do them at no charge regardless of the cause. However, I'd be stern with him and tell him, you've never heard of four signs blowing off all at the same time. He either put them on wrong, like over dirt and tar or maybe even molding, but wind won't take them off like that. How frickin' fast can a paving truck go ??

Anyway, do 'em over, make him happy and maybe he'll never come back.

CS-SignSupply-TT

HEAVY DUTY COMMERCIAL VEHICLES? did you give your customer instructions for the CARE and MAINTENANCE of their magnetics? Remember, magnetics, by their nature are temporary signage, not permanent. Although, if not cared for properly, they CAN become permanent

brush1

All four ?? I'd sooner think he either lost them on his own or got them all covered in tar and threw them away.

How long did he have them ??

If it's less than a few days, I'd re-do them at no charge regardless of the cause. However, I'd be stern with him and tell him, you've never heard of four signs blowing off all at the same time. He either put them on wrong, like over dirt and tar or maybe even molding, but wind won't take them off like that. How frickin' fast can a paving truck go ??

Anyway, do 'em over, make him happy and maybe he'll never come back.
I did them August 7 this year.....but still....I never had this problem and I asked customers who have magnets cut from the same roll and he never had any problem.

brush1

HEAVY DUTY COMMERCIAL VEHICLES? did you give your customer instructions for the CARE and MAINTENANCE of their magnetics? Remember, magnetics, by their nature are temporary signage, not permanent. Although, if not cared for properly, they CAN become permanent
Yes. All my customers need to sign instruction. One copy for them....one for me.
This is the reason why I use Magnum for years....I think is good material.

TheSnowman

I had a bad roll a couple months ago. It was supposed to be the kind that's made to run through your printer, which didn't work for even .05 seconds after I loaded it, so I figured I'd just use it the old fashioned way and put the vinyl on top of it, and I had about 4 people bring it back to me because it was curling up and wouldn't even think of sticking to the car. It wouldn't stick to my refrigerator.

I don't know what kind you had, but they stood behind it and replaced it...I'm just hoping no more customers come in about issues.

brush1

What exactly is a "big commercial car"....?

You can't warranty magnets. There are too many variables out of your control.

I would say you're offering the best material there is (magnum .030 - that's all we use) and that if your customer loses them (on the freeway perhaps...?) there's not much you can do besides offer them more at a slightly discounted rate or sell them some real graphics.
I don't know what cars they are.....they use them to make asphalt.
I'm going to refuse any service to this customer. I just don't belive in it.

brush1

I had a bad roll a couple months ago. It was supposed to be the kind that's made to run through your printer, which didn't work for even .05 seconds after I loaded it, so I figured I'd just use it the old fashioned way and put the vinyl on top of it, and I had about 4 people bring it back to me because it was curling up and wouldn't even think of sticking to the car. It wouldn't stick to my refrigerator.

I don't know what kind you had, but they stood behind it and replaced it...I'm just hoping no more customers come in about issues.
I used this roll. Never had any complains from another customers. It is hanging in my shop for few months (around 6). I don't do to many magnets.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They told me while driving.
I will be happy to put piece of magnet on they car and drive with them to see this!

Okay, I call foul right here.

Usually, when a magnetic flies off a car, they rarely notice it when it happens. Seriously, they just don't. If they did, they'd stop, go back and pick them up. We don't sell magnetics cheaply, so the customers usually understand the value of them. If they knew they blew off and didn't go back for them..... unless they blew off a cliff or something..... it's their negligence once again. No way did four magnetics blow off a cliff at the same time.... or land in a building on fire.

This person I would merely say, one would be believable, but all four is wrong, just down outright wrong for you to expect me to replace your wrong-doings. Sorry. No can do. Wanna pay me half and I'll do it. We'll both accept responsibility and call it a day.

Letterbox Mike

For what it's worth, we go through about a half-dozen rolls of Magnum 30 mil per month, and since about June of this year we've had more returns and complaints on it than ever, and I've been using it for 15 years. Everything from hard to remove from the vehicle, to welded to the paint, to flew off almost immediately. Some were really badly curled and warped around the top edges. We haven't changed anything with the manufacturing process on our end, same vinyl and laminate we've used for years. The vast majority of these are customers or instances where I know well and good it wasn't because the customer did something wrong or because there was Bondo under half of the magnet, it's been blatant failures of the material.

Not sure if that helps your situation or not, but we might be in the same boat...

brush1

For what it's worth, we go through about a half-dozen rolls of Magnum 30 mil per month, and since about June of this year we've had more returns and complaints on it than ever, and I've been using it for 15 years. Everything from hard to remove from the vehicle, to welded to the paint, to flew off almost immediately. Some were really badly curled and warped around the top edges. We haven't changed anything with the manufacturing process on our end, same vinyl and laminate we've used for years. The vast majority of these are customers or instances where I know well and good it wasn't because the customer did something wrong or because there was Bondo under half of the magnet, it's been blatant failures of the material.

Not sure if that helps your situation or not, but we might be in the same boat...
Wow!!!!
The only thing.....it is the only one customer. The same roll for all rest and not a single problem with another.

MikeD

We process a couple pallets of magnum's product each month and it works great. .030 should have enough pull strength to hold on; I've put plenty of 025 out and had no complaints.
I can't imagine any construction vehicle being clean- especially one involved in asphalt work. Hopefully your cost for 4 mags isn't too high, and you can replace them. If the vehicles are close enough to you it may be possible for you to deliver in person and inspect the surfaces first-hand. Show them how to prep the surface, apply and care for your product. They sound like they could turn into a large account for you.
Good Luck!

Letterbox Mike

Wow!!!!
The only thing.....it is the only one customer. The same roll for all rest and not a single problem with another.

Not every job we did, even out of the same roll, came back or had problems, it was very hit or miss, some jobs were fine, others were failures. I know there was at least one redo out of every roll though...