• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Needs help on laminator.

fine point

Hi all.

We got our hands on a used DryTac Jetmounter 54 a few month ago. We are new to laminator and I was told from many colleagues that laminator is the hardest equipment to master.

They were right.

We thread it (web it) straight and everything is in right place. But in 10' or so, this wrinkle on left hand side happens. Always on the same side. Left side facing the laminator. I thought it happens because the overlaminate on media reel shifts as it unrolls (which happened and we secured it from shifting), But even when the overlaminate is not shifting, the wrinkle still happens.

I wasted so much material testing it in various setting!

Any tips will be helpful.
Thanks in advance!

FP

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 262

AF

Assuming the material is loaded correctly, I would check that the pressure is even across the rollers and that rollers are parallel. It is possible that the rollers are worn in the middle causing a higher feed rate at the sides, easily verified by checking pressure across the rollers.

fine point

Assuming the material is loaded correctly, I would check that the pressure is even across the rollers and that rollers are parallel. It is possible that the rollers are worn in the middle causing a higher feed rate at the sides, easily verified by checking pressure across the rollers.
Thanks for your tip.

The machine is almost brand new. Never used more than dozen times. The rollers look spotless.
Jetmounter 54 has only one crank and can't be changed left/right pressure separately.

No clue...

Best

dypinc

Hi all.

We got our hands on a used DryTac Jetmounter 54 a few month ago. We are new to laminator and I was told from many colleagues that laminator is the hardest equipment to master.

They were right.

We thread it (web it) straight and everything is in right place. But in 10' or so, this wrinkle on left hand side happens. Always on the same side. Left side facing the laminator. I thought it happens because the overlaminate on media reel shifts as it unrolls (which happened and we secured it from shifting), But even when the overlaminate is not shifting, the wrinkle still happens.

Thanks in advance!

FP

Interesting comment about the laminator "is the hardest equipment to master". I never really though it was that hard to master. May have more to do with the quality of the laminator.

I can't really tell from your one picture, but two things come to mind. Webbing should be done so at least half the pinch roller is covered by your over-lam, and maybe not enough tension there. As for the bottom pinch roller, if that is not a ridge substate it needs to be webbed around the roller much that same as the laminate on the top roller with enough tension that is equal to the laminate. You need to do a little trial and error to get the tension where you need it.

fine point

Thanks!
I learned tensions seem to be pretty crucial too. I might have set to speed too "high" too.
I will have to try different set up again tomorrow.
It's stressful but fun learning a new equipment!

spectrum maine

Hi all.

They were right.

Thanks in advance!

FP

our lamininator is a royal soverign 55. I ruined massive amounts of prints trying to dial it in. At wits end, i decided to put the prints on a coroplast sled before laminating. problem solved.
8 years later we still laminate with coro sleds. if it works it aint broken haha.

fine point

We did the method too! It worked well for the first 3-4 yards or so and the wrinkles happened again :mad:

I tested with two strips of media on pinched at the both end of the rollers and it did seem like one side gets less pressure than the other.

I have no idea how to adjust the pressure since there is one crank to up and down the top roller and not individual pressure cranks(?).

I see a big bolt on each side and assuming it's for adjusting the pressure. Might give it a shot turning it....

HandsomeBob

It's old but reliable lamination (not the one mentioned here but...)

To keep everything aligned we occasionally close the nip to zero and run the laminator overnight on slow

It helps to smooth the rollers.

May not help, but worth a try.

jimbug72

Make sure when you attach the release liner to the take up reel that is it straight inline with the roll of laminate. If it's attached to the left or right it will pull unevenly and cause that wrinkling. Also make sure the cardboard tube on the take up reel is secure and can't slide around on the rod as that may cause it to pull unevenly as well. Also check to make sure your laminate hasn't slid one direction or the other on the core. (Meaning one ends of your roll of laminate are flat and don't resemble the shape of a volcano)

DerbyCitySignGuy

I can almost guarantee you there's a way to adjust the nib on your laminator. You may have to open the side of the machine to do so, but there is definitely a way. If the laminator is wrinkling in the exact same spot every time, there's a very good change you just need to make some minor adjustments.

Get a copy of the manual or call DryTac and explain the situation and ask them how you adjust the nib.

Laminating is a lot harder than it looks, but I wouldn't say it's the most difficult equipment in a shop to master. You just need some practice. Laminating on a sled is a good idea, but it never hurts to get your equipment working correctly. At some point you may need to laminate an entire roll (or rolls) of material. Don't slap a bandage on and hope for the best.

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
We had this issue on our old laminator before we got our SEAL laminator.

Take both sides off of the laminator, set the crank down so that the upper roller is resting on the bottom one (no pressure). Release/unscrew the tension screws on both sides so that the upper roller rests "FREELY" on the bottom roller. Once you have sitting "freely" you should have an even, level pressure across both rollers. Then go back and set/tighten the tension screws. I'd laminate a few feet of scrap to make sure you are good to go before putting the panels back up.

fine point

Thanks everyone.
All of your tips are on point. I finally got to speak with the tech from Drytac and he suggested all the things that might help the issue. Too much pressure, too fast, core sliding etc.

It does look like the top roller needs adjusting too. I have some homework now....

Tfloraditch

We had this issue on our old laminator before we got our SEAL laminator.

Take both sides off of the laminator, set the crank down so that the upper roller is resting on the bottom one (no pressure). Release/unscrew the tension screws on both sides so that the upper roller rests "FREELY" on the bottom roller. Once you have sitting "freely" you should have an even, level pressure across both rollers. Then go back and set/tighten the tension screws. I'd laminate a few feet of scrap to make sure you are good to go before putting the panels back up.

CamTX-
Thanks so much! we had the same problem. As soon as I read your post I realized that was all I needed to do. so far it's working great.
Can't Thank you enough.

Tim