• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Needs some suggestion for printer purchase

Hi, flocks I'm working as a safety officer in a company. In partnership with my friends, I have the plan to start a sign-making company on a small scale basis. After covid 19 many of my friends lost their jobs. So all together planned to start a business and last we found out this sign making business is good. For this business, we need some efficient printers which can do work in a smart manner. I don't have much idea about the printers. Can anyone help us? Which will be really helpful.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
No sign making experience?

Any graphic or illustrations experience?

No research? Not even a “we found this printer but I’d like reviews on it, here’s our budget”?

You realise what you’re essentially saying here is that you think our jobs are easy and you want to take some of our work? And then you are expecting us to guide you through the entire process we actually had to work for?

Back to the drawing board for you..

Chrxs

Hey, nice idea, a lot of potential customers "after" covid!
I produce signs since 12 yrs but I'd ask you ho you want to produce the signs; digital print on vinyl ? Direct print to the sign ?

If you have to produce digital prints I can suggest you the HP Latex 3xx even with a low budget. The material costs are low and the maintenance costs are quite ok. You can purchase in different wides so you can safe money here. But I think everyone here has it's favorite..

Please don't forget the RIP'ing computer for best results! If you have any deeper questions feel free to ask :)

Chris

HillHouseGraphics

I am not trying to discourage you, but I have been in the Printing and Graphic Arts fields for 29 years and have had my own sign & graphics business for 10 years. You will need guidance and consultants can get expensive. I know as I routinely consult with small printing companies and graphics businesses and bill at $125 per hour.
With that said, here are a few things you will need:
Vinyl Plotter - minimum of 30” for cut vinyl graphics
Computer and Plotter software such as Flexi or Sign Lab
Large Format Printer. Minimum 30” preferably 54 or64 inch. This can be as stand alone printer such as a HP latex machine, Epson Solvent machine or a combination print cut machine like a Roland VG2 machine.
If you opt for the printer only option, your plotter cutter will need to be big enough to mate with the printer.
Laminator. You will need at minimum a good large format cold lamiator such as a Royal Soverign 55” (depending again on size of your printer)
Rip Software for your printer/cutter. Many printers need their own specific rip software. Some such as Roland come with sale as bundle.
Layout Table. A minimum 4x8 layout table will be required for masking, weeding and preparation
Masking Station. I use a second Royal Soverign laminator in 36”, but you can get away with cheap options such as Masking machine.
Board Cutter. I have several keencut table top cutters an A-frame board cutter and a panel saw, but you can get away with some hand tools and guides to start.
Computer with graphics software. I am all about top end Mac’s here. I have a MacPro with128gb ram. (The more the better) and I have Adobe Creative Suite for file preparation.
To truly be effective, you will also need to set your shop up with good lighting preferably LED with 5000K temperature to make sure your color looks good, or you will be reprinting jobs over and over.
Vendor relationships are key. You need to set up vendors for product and backups as well, so you can always have good materials and advise.
Next and finally you will need a customer base... This takes time and experience.

Good Luck.

brdesign

A lot will depend on what you plan to print as to the best print technology that will fit your needs, weather it should be a latex, solvent, or uv printer. Even then every printer has its own pros, cons, and quirks. The marketing materials will only tell about the pros, and some of printer sales people have no experience in running these printers daily in a production environment.

Geri

No sign making experience?

Any graphic or illustrations experience?

No research? Not even a “we found this printer but I’d like reviews on it, here’s our budget”?

You realise what you’re essentially saying here is that you think our jobs are easy and you want to take some of our work? And then you are expecting us to guide you through the entire process we actually had to work for?

Back to the drawing board for you..
Hahha, this was harsh...

Chrxs

A lot will depend on what you plan to print as to the best print technology that will fit your needs, weather it should be a latex, solvent, or uv printer. Even then every printer has its own pros, cons, and quirks. The marketing materials will only tell about the pros, and some of printer sales people have no experience in running these printers daily in a production environment.

100% agreement!

HillHouseGraphics

I am not trying to discourage you, but I have been in the Printing and Graphic Arts fields for 29 years and have had my own sign & graphics business for 10 years. You will need guidance and consultants can get expensive. I know as I routinely consult with small printing companies and graphics businesses and bill at $125 per hour.
With that said, here are a few things you will need:
Vinyl Plotter - minimum of 30” for cut vinyl graphics
Computer and Plotter software such as Flexi or Sign Lab
Large Format Printer. Minimum 30” preferably 54 or64 inch. This can be as stand alone printer such as a HP latex machine, Epson Solvent machine or a combination print cut machine like a Roland VG2 machine.
If you opt for the printer only option, your plotter cutter will need to be big enough to mate with the printer.
Laminator. You will need at minimum a good large format cold lamiator such as a Royal Soverign 55” (depending again on size of your printer)
Rip Software for your printer/cutter. Many printers need their own specific rip software. Some such as Roland come with sale as bundle.
Layout Table. A minimum 4x8 layout table will be required for masking, weeding and preparation
Masking Station. I use a second Royal Soverign laminator in 36”, but you can get away with cheap options such as Masking machine.
Board Cutter. I have several keencut table top cutters an A-frame board cutter and a panel saw, but you can get away with some hand tools and guides to start.
Computer with graphics software. I am all about top end Mac’s here. I have a MacPro with128gb ram. (The more the better) and I have Adobe Creative Suite for file preparation.
To truly be effective, you will also need to set your shop up with good lighting preferably LED with 5000K temperature to make sure your color looks good, or you will be reprinting jobs over and over.
Vendor relationships are key. You need to set up vendors for product and backups as well, so you can always have good materials and advise.
Next and finally you will need a customer base... This takes time and experience.

Good Luck.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
How about before purchasing equipment. You start off outsourcing your work and see if you can actually get any rather than spending money on equipment you’ll use once a week or so and let them cost you money over time.

you and your buddies should first find a trade printer. then start looking for work. see how much you really can find.
Then see if it’s worth buying a printer etc.