• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Neon white

The Wadd

I have an MGD bar neon that is set on a guitar frame. The MGD text is broken. Its white. How can I determine what white it is i.e. 8500, 6500, etc.?

The Wadd

The MGD text is all one. The G is broken in two places. I am just repairing the G with new glass. Not re bending the entire logo.

In either case, it won't be a match depending on how old the sign was because of the lumen maintenance over time.

Be aware some tube bender won't just weld on new glass to the old because a lot of tube benders don't want to mess with the process of washing and cleaning out the glass before welding and processing. The best way/right way would be to do the entire lamp. But not every customer is up for paying for that, but let them know that it will not match.

+1 on the black light to find the best glass mfg

Mosh

I get broken beer signs in the shop every week...$200 min to fix most of them...they think I am crazy.

The Wadd

That's why I'm only doing the "G". They aren't going to pay for the entire MGD to be re produced. I'm well aware that it wont match perfect but the closer the better. This is a pretty easy going repeat customer. As far as washing and processing, That's what the bombardment does. Not an actual wash, but it pulls the impurities from the tube. I wasn't sure if he U V light would show enough difference in the white tubes to visually see the lumen difference.

Z SIGNS

It's not a neon tube it's a argon mercury tube

That's why I'm only doing the "G". They aren't going to pay for the entire MGD to be re produced. I'm well aware that it wont match perfect but the closer the better. This is a pretty easy going repeat customer. As far as washing and processing, That's what the bombardment does. Not an actual wash, but it pulls the impurities from the tube. I wasn't sure if he U V light would show enough difference in the white tubes to visually see the lumen difference.

I am a tube bender.
I would never repair a mercury tube.
I would make a new one.
Re bombing and pumping a mercury tube releases mercury vapor into the shop and is not good for your health or your pumping equipment.
Plus you wind up with an ugly looking unit
Most reputable shops won't do it.
Not worth the extra half hour to do the job right.

petrosgraphics

z signs is right, never repair a mercury tube, will contaminate the system.

*my policy has always been to make new, when mercury is involved