• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New 4x8 sign

altereddezignz

Hey guys this will be my first big sign. I have a customer that owns a salon and she is wanting 2 4x8 signs. I am trying to figure out what material to use. I need the background to be colored probably black. I can get sheet metal but i would have to paint the metal and get the oily residue off of it. Anyone know the best way or paint to paint this. I mean yes i can use automotive paint but i would have to have auto primer, auto base and clear. Thats alot of cost for 2 signs. Can i use a household type paint, latex, oil based?? I have no suppliers at all local to get coroplast i would love to have that in black but i have to order a whole bunch of it to get any shipped at all.
Any ideas would greatly help.
Thank you.

Pat Whatley

You're only an hour out of Memphis and you don't have a supplier who delivers? Have you checked with Tubelite in Memphis?

altereddezignz

Been on the phone all day with vendor after vendor after vendor. The min is an order of 15 sheets cheapest i could find was 205 for 15 pcs. no telling when the next time i would use it.

altereddezignz

I know of a bunch of different materials but looking for something rather cheap. It would have to be local. So far it has been sheet metal but it is all oily. Going to look for MDO tomorrow. Thinnest aluminium i can get is 1/8 inch without ordering alot of it from a steel yard.

Pat Whatley

Not trying to bust your chops or anything but I've been to Jonesboro, it's not exactly a small town. There are 33 sign shops listed in the Yellow Pages.....where are they getting their materials? Can you just buy a couple of sheets of coro from them? If they've got white the stuff paints pretty easily. Clean the heck out of if, roll on some enamel and wait a couple of days for it to dry.

If all else fails ask the people you're getting the sheet metal from if they can order you a couple of pieces of black aluminum. It's not that uncommon.

And if none of that works get your metal, clean it, sand it, and roll on a couple of coats of Rustoleum Industrial Enamel (Lowes). No need for a base coat/clear coat if you're considering coro as an option.

tsgstl

You never said you tried tubelite. Try calling a Sign supply Co.
Are you applying vinyl?
I'm sorry but you kind of sound like someone that is trying to make a cheap sign for your business and not a sign maker at all.
A. A 4'x8' is not a "big sign"
B. Coroplast is not for permanent

altereddezignz

Thanks for not busting my bubbles. I have lived in Jonesboro all my life. Sign business is cut throat here. Trust me for a sign shop here to sell a product to you is almost impossible. Now did i call all the shops here in town no. 33 in yellow pages yes there are about 15 left rest have shut down. I called 7 shops today. Even moved to calling paragould. Jonesboro is the type of town if you own a business it better be a big business b/c the little ones are just going to die. You have to have lots of money to get things done or know the right people. I am just simply trying to find alternatives and different types of substrates. Oh on the enamel. Was told not to use anything but oil based on things going outside.. Again not trying to start any fight or anything on here b/c i have a great respect for this site. But i wouldn't be asking for the help that i am if i wasn't trying.

altereddezignz

I am a sign maker yes. Now signs are not something that i do hardly at all. Yes i will be applying vinyl. The customer wants the cheapest thing possible b/c they do not know how long the store will be open. This is the reason i considered coroplast. And you are correct i have not tried tube light. My business specializes in Apparel printing and hydrodipping. I have the vinyl for side jobs and autos things like that. Trust me i am no expert by no means if that was the case i wouldnt be on here asking for help. I do not claim to be a master at this. i could only wish. Please look up my business. Altered Dezignz. This sign is not for me. Sorry if i come off as just a random person.

Pat Whatley

Ummm..the paint I mentioned is oil based.

Again, try Tubelite or Advanced Plastics in Memphis.

Do you actually have a sign shop? If you do and you've live in the town your whole life where did you learn the sign business? What suppliers were you using when you were working wherever you learned?

The rest of your post sounds like every other post by anyone went into any business uneducated and unprepared. Sorry, may be far from the case but it's really coming across like you're some guy with a chinese plotter in his garage trying to figure out how to start making cheap signs and you're pissed off that none of the people running full time shops are willing to sell you materials that you'll resell cheap.

CP Signs

If you are considering coro, around here you can get some at Lowes, Home Depot and places like that. Yes more expensive then a supplier but at $20 a sheet, your laughing. I would still consider getting the 15 sheets. Easy to sell coroplast signs. How much did you charge for the 2 signs?

tsgstl

Do it the right way, order WHAT YOU NEED from a supply company. If there are 33 shops then there is at least 2 companies that drive down the street from you at least once or twice a week. I highly doubt they won't drop one off with a credit card #. Usually it is a $100-$150 minimum if at all.
Buy 2 more sheets while your at it so it won't put you through so much trouble next time.

PS every town is the way you speak. It is cut throat everywhere.

altereddezignz

Lol i am not a full time sign shop. Like i mention my shop is dedicated to hydrodipping and apparel printing. I own a Q series cutter for any vinyl plotting. I do not do signs on a daily basis. I learned from an old friend back in my home town where i was raised but there was about a 6 year span between learning and adding signs to my business. I did not purchase my equipment to be able to do signs for everyone that wanted them. I just occasionally have clients that i am doing other things for that request vinyl or other services i offer. If i can provide the service to them with the plotter i have then i try to do all i can. These are the reason i am asking the questions i am asking. If your looking at my and trying to figure out how skilled i am well i would still be considered a newb. I apologize if this all came off the wrong way, but yes around here most of the sign shops are cut throat and all things to them are godly and a big secret. I am simply asking for help on trying to create a signs for a customer that needs one. I am not against spending money for a substrate but my client is so i can only work within the confines that i must. As far as suppliers i mostly use signwarehouse, The reason is b/c i do not have to order much in the realm of sign making supplies at all. It is easy to get and i have never had any problems. Again i really want to emphasis that my business is not a sign making businessfor the sole income just an additive tot he other services i offer.

altereddezignz

If you are considering coro, around here you can get some at Lowes, Home Depot and places like that. Yes more expensive then a supplier but at $20 a sheet, your laughing. I would still consider getting the 15 sheets. Easy to sell coroplast signs. How much did you charge for the 2 signs?

Went to home depot and lowes when i left today. Largest they currently sell is 3ftx6ft. As far as the price i have yet to price since i wanted to do some research and figure out materials prior.

altereddezignz

Do it the right way, order WHAT YOU NEED from a supply company. If there are 33 shops then there is at least 2 companies that drive down the street from you at least once or twice a week. I highly doubt they won't drop one off with a credit card #. Usually it is a $100-$150 minimum if at all.
Buy 2 more sheets while your at it so it won't put you through so much trouble next time.

PS every town is the way you speak. It is cut throat everywhere.

I am not against doing it THE RIGHT WAY. I am just asking for information on what to use. Like i said i did not call everyone in town and will pick back up my search tomorrow. There probable is someone here locally that will provide me with what i need. I just have to find them.

Pat Whatley

no...TUBELITE.

www.tubelite.com

I'm not looking up the phone number for you, too. They sell sign materials....they deliver sign materials in big trucks that say Tubelite on them....they have delivery routes all around their warehouses....you're an hour away, I'd be a little surprised if they don't come your way at least once a week....they also sell boat loads of screen printing inks and squeegees and screens.

altereddezignz

Sorry i miss read what you typed earlier about tubelite and advanced plastics. I read it as i was calling advanced plastics for tubelite product. My apologies. Thanks for the info